Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No bucks during early muzzleloader?

Big H

Medina
Even if you are hunting with a bow? I didn't realize this until today. If you can only hunt on weekends, this sucks...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I've noticed alot of people don't realize its doe only , even a few people were gonna ML hunt bucks . I myself will Prolly just not hunt and chalk it up to reduced opportunity .

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've never been good enough to kill a buck in early or mid-October, so it makes little difference to me. To those that can pattern and kill a good one in on that weekend, I can certainly understand. Looking at personal history, I've lost NOTHING by them making it doe only.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Thats true Brock. I'm in the same boat . I'd also guess more big bucks will be killed by ML that weekend than bowhunters have historically killed that weekend.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
That's my thought too Jake. With the new telecheck what is going to keep people from shooting a big buck and calling it in as a doe.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I have not had much luck for big bucks early season either, but it only takes one to walk under your stand to change that. When it does happen, I want to be able to legally shoot him. I have no doubt there will be many bucks killed by bows the Monday after "Doe Only" Muzzle loader season. The DOW knows this, and I know the idea of making it either sex next season will be taken into consideration, and if I had to guess, implemented.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Very good possibility, Jake. Laws are only obeyed when they make sense. Traffic laws are a good example. Our interstates can handle 100 mph speed limits, so people often travel 10 over the posted limits. However, when there is inclement weather, or heavy traffic, people slow down...cause it makes sense. I guess if we see a marked increase in the number bucks checked the Monday after, we will know turning folks loose with guns looking for "does only" does not make sense. Then again, maybe it does.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I would venture to guess Wildlife Officers will be quick to follow up on any bucks killed on Monday. Three or four years ago I bought a tag on the way to hunt on opening day. I shot a deer within minutes of getting into the stand and tagged it in on the way home. I had that tag in my pocket for probably less than an hour. About a month later, a WO knocked on my door and wanted to know how it was that I killed a deer so quickly after buying the tag. I told him the story, it was true, and he left. I would guess they will be doing similar follow-ups after the muzzy season.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I would venture to guess Wildlife Officers will be quick to follow up on any bucks killed on Monday. Three or four years ago I bought a tag on the way to hunt on opening day. I shot a deer within minutes of getting into the stand and tagged it in on the way home. I had that tag in my pocket for probably less than an hour. About a month later, a WO knocked on my door and wanted to know how it was that I killed a deer so quickly after buying the tag. I told him the story, it was true, and he left. I would guess they will be doing similar follow-ups after the muzzy season.

I guess thats kind of nice to know they checked in with you at least. If you had to lie about it though no guy is going to check in a deer right after he buys the tag, just wait a few days then check it in. If you want to cheat, cheaters will always find a way.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've never been good enough to kill a buck in early or mid-October, so it makes little difference to me. To those that can pattern and kill a good one in on that weekend, I can certainly understand. Looking at personal history, I've lost NOTHING by them making it doe only.

Yep!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Yeah, everything posted is TRUE, and sad.
If I had a penny for everytime I heard reports of shot gun blast during late muzzy season, I would be a millionaire! Lol.

Huckleberry Finn

I don't know what you guys are bitching about, we the sportsman wanted this extra chance to thin those car smashing does that eat up all the food for the bucks.

:smiley_depressive:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

Same here. It is why I've grown to loathe hunting deer in October. I don't want to pump them full of food from a pile and kill one that way. And I'm obviously not gifted enough to just figure them out, so I'm not out shit. In fact, I like it as long as people are aware that it is antlerless only...