Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Clearing my head and slinging some lead

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Not to be a killjoy but its been a little rough. Not sleeping well these days so I felt I needed some time in the woods...

To much work to grab a bow but I can grab a 22 and be out the door in a few min. which is what I did this morning. I walked down to the back SE section and still-hunted my way around. Standing 10 yards into the hardwoods just off an overgrown field watching and listening for cuttings to drop through the leaves something caught my eye moving along the tree line on the field side of the brush. I had a 3 foot window to see through just as that big Yote trotted by. I hesitated thinking Fuc*! I need a bigger gun! By the time I started the swing up thinking "head shot" he was lost in the brush. I tried to move down the woods but he was gone... As Yotes go, he is one of the biggest I have see and having seen him on the trail cams before I can tell you at 10 yards, the camera does not do him justice. Knowing he was probably long gone I went back to what I was doing but had no luck this morning and wandered back to the house for lunch and a another gun...lol I did see several but my poor attitude was costing me and I kept getting busted by ones on the ground and once they made to the tree tops I lost em in the leaves. \

Not being happy with the mornings events and having no one around I figured I would just go back out. Its odd how being alone now and I still haven't gotten use to not having to "check" with Syndi to see if there were any other plans... I grabbed the Ruger 10/22 topped with the Vortex but as an after thought also tucked the Colt Commander into the small of my back, jumped on the 4 wheeler and drove to the other side of the lake to try again, scolding myself the whole way for being so sloppy in my movement through the woods this morning. I no sooner got off the Brute and a big fox squirrel came charging across my trail not 25 yards out. He stopped in the middle of the trail and sat up on his back legs looking at me with contempt as if to say "hahahha. Fu*k you. We all know about you from this morning..."

Bang.

Recovering him, I moved down a new section of woods, my interest to attention somewhat renewed. An hour later I'm sitting on a large downed cherry tree with a huge red oak 15 yards away. Acorns dropping but only from 1 side. Another 15 min. goes by and I figure I'll just have a smoke and head back. The canapy is impossible to see through at this point in the season here. I'm half way through my Swisher Sweet and that bugger has come come all but 20 ft. down the tree and is barking at me.

Bang.

Let em lay where he fell. I still have 1/2 a Swisher to smoke and this afternoon is shaping up. As I finish up the last puff and snuff it out on a rock, a third one starts barking at me from 30-35 yards. "Wow... " Dropping the smoke-butt into my shirt pocket I slowly raise the Ruger and crank up the scope a couple...

Bang.

Now that's cool. Three is enough for me and I start to stand and a 4th squirrel from 72 steps ( later stepped off and I have long legs) starts bitching at me! "Damn. I haven't been bitched at this much in years" I muttered to my self and cranked up the Vortex. I took a good rest and figured if I can get a head shot, I win, if I miss he wins and I go home w/ 3...

"click" and the safety goes off. He's moving. Starting to loose him in the leaves but he stops in one of those port-hole windows and I see his head in the middle of it, smack dab centered on the face of that tree way up...And he's still looking over at be bitching (barking) at me.

Bang.

As I walk over and recover him I'm thinking "man that was a long shot but he was in the middle of that big ol tree so it was safe". I'm so lost in in re-thinking the shot I cant fine him. I walk back to where I shot and take a line of sight, walk back and find him stepping off 72 steps. (Thank you Vortex) For me, what are the odds of having that bull fox squirrel stop in the only shooting window I have from that location, that far down a fairly dense hard wood a couple stories up a tree...

All-in-all a nice afternoon. I sit here typing out this story with the smell of seasoned squirrel baking in the oven. Head shots, every one of them. A dirty 22 at my side and a clean 45 wishing I had brought him along this morning.

Huckleberry Finn

Very nice story and that is a nice rig.

Glad you had a nice day in the woods.

Say, you're not home til Friday by any chance?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
By the time I was done reading this I had a smile on my face. Thanks Jim and nice pictures as well! One day at a time, one foot in front of the other. Glad you had a better afternoon than morning.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great story, Jim! I enjoyed it immensely. Everyday in the woods turns out one way or the other, and neither is bad per se. That rough morning made the afternoon a lot sweeter!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That was fantastic Jim. :smiley_clap: I was smiling all the way through it & felt like I was sitting on that downed cherry with ya. Great pics TOO!!

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Nice Big Bro! I hope to get a shot at that Yote with my bow when I get home while FINALLY getting out to bow hunt. C-ya Thursday Big Bro.

:smiley_clap:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks everyone! Glad you enjoyed reading along!
It was good for me and I appreciate the kind words of support.

Stay tuned for part 2 later this week with a guest appearance!:smiley_chinrub: