Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need Help From The Upper Classman/woman

ok as you guys and gals know im new to this and im building a bow, right now i was gave a bow under the brand Bear, its completely naked besides the bowstring and the sight in the bowstring..i was told i wouldn't need a stabilizer but idk, im just wondering what are some of the must have, what are the best to work with, and what all in necessary to be able to hunt for deer...i like to think i would need....

Release
Bow Sight
Arrow Rest
Quiver
Bow Sling
Arrow Heads
Arrows

Now thats all i need to get, what the cheapest but best to get for each of them items...Thanks again for the help

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is this a compound bow? I am assuming so given the peep sight in the string you mentioned and the sight.

Stabilizer? Not necessary to make the bow work.

Release? Nice, but there are some guys who shoot without them.

Arrows? I hope you know this answer. You will be needing some. lol

Rest? I would think you would want at least a cheap rest of some sort. A Whisker Biscuit will get you shooting without breaking the bank.

Bow sling is not an absolute must. Not sure very many actually use them.

Quiver can be had for $20 I am sure.

Is this a compound bow? I am assuming so given the peep sight in the string you mentioned and the sight.

Stabilizer? Not necessary to make the bow work.

Release? Nice, but there are some guys who shoot without them.

Arrows? I hope you know this answer. You will be needing some. lol

Rest? I would think you would want at least a cheap rest of some sort. A Whisker Biscuit will get you shooting without breaking the bank.

Bow sling is not an absolute must. Not sure very many actually use them.

Quiver can be had for $20 I am sure.

Yeah i unerstand ill need arrows and broadheads lol im just saying for the stuff i will need what would be some of the best brands to use...and with arrows go with carbon fiber or use aluminum?..You know different stuff like that, and yeah i wanna use a release cuz i have a long compound bow and feel that it will take more to hold it back plus me being new i cant pull and shoot it will take me a few seconds longer to get my shot set..

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Do you know what model of bear this is? There is a large range of bows covered by the name bear.

As far as arrows I wouldn't shoot anything but carbon but that is just my opinion. Hicks hit it as far as a rest, a whisker biscuit will cut it a is idiot proof.

Do you know what model of bear this is? There is a large range of bows covered by the name bear.

As far as arrows I wouldn't shoot anything but carbon but that is just my opinion. Hicks hit it as far as a rest, a whisker biscuit will cut it a is idiot proof.

Hey thanks man, when i find out which one it is ill let ya know and thanks for the feedback on the brands n stuff well appreciated

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In regards to the Whisker Biscuit, you will hear a lot of people bash them. Personally I am not a huge fan. BUT. . . for a cheap starter rest it is hard to go wrong. You are in the bow for free. You are out money for a rifle already, and I assume you bought a shotgun, but you said you haven't hunted yet. That said, the Whisker Biscuit is a great starting point. You don't need to worry about anything but getting started. I feel this rest will get you started for cheap and last you a good while.

Carbon arrows all the way in my opinion. I am currently shooting Easton ST's. You are looking at $60-70 for a dozen arrows this way. Some shops will even sell half a dozen.

Broad heads? That is like asking which muscle car is the best. Lots of good answers, and lots of different opinions. Tried and true Muzzy broadheads are hard to beat. Pretty cheap too. Slick tricks are my favorite but I have a 6 pack of Muzzy's waiting on my son's crossbow when his grades improve.

Just to get you hunting, I would probably just get a cheap Truglo sight at Walmart to be honest. $20-40 for a lighted sight with 3-5 pins is just hard to beat if you are just starting. That is what I had on my first bow 5 years ago and truthfully feel it was pretty good for the money. Not as nice as the sight I am using today, but I feel I could kill a deer just as dead under 35yds with one of these Truglo as the one I have on my bow.

You will want to find out some more info on the bow and get it listed here so the guys can help with info. I am FAR from an expert here, but there are guys who will be who will chime in for you.

Last edited:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I would concentrate on getting a sight, a release, a rest, and figure getting the bow sized for your draw length and the poundage you want. Then get arrows and have them cut to length. We all could go on and on about what stuff you buy, but what is your price range? That could help alot.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
When I first got into bow hunting in was in your same shoes. I had one of the guys on here take me under his wing and really help me out. Where do you live? Maybe one of the guys lives close by and can help you out