Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gutting knife

Huckleberry Finn

I have an 'unzipper' to open the deer up, but what knife do you use for the rest of the gutting job?

I've found that I like a small knife that I can control, even though that leads to a messier job. However, I haven't seen my little Buck folder that I've been using for about 6 months.

I'm thinking about getting the classic Buck 110.

Thoughts?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Mine came with a nice leather pouch. It always goes in the pouch and then into the pack. When it's not season it isn't being used.

LOL

I made the switch a few years back

To a Utility knife

Yep
A 1" blade

No I don't cut the ribs , I just reach up and cut the wind Pipe

Always sharp

I used to use a Gerber knife about the size of a 110
Worked well
But IMO to large

If you go with a Buck 110
Try and get a USA made one
As there are 110's made in China

Not the same quality

John

The 110 is a good knife but I don't like the blade shape as much. In my experience a 3-4 inch drop point fixed blade does the best job.
I am currently using a Kershaw 1760 fixed blade.

This CRKT kommer hunter is a nice blade too.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I use the gerber gut hook tool that uses utility/exacto knife blades and a gerber folding saw for the ribs and pelvis. I have 110 folding Hunter with the finer grooves my dad gave me when I first started deer hunting almost 20 years ago and it is what I use for the rest of the job. I do use a benchmade griptillian for skinning because the shape of the blade is better for skinning.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've always bought and used cheap Gerber knives because I was always afraid I would lose it in the woods. A few years ago, Kate bought me a nice Buck Alpha Hunter with a gut hook, and it is an awesome knife. I would have never spent what she did on a knife, but I'm grateful she did. It is a quality knife that holds an edge, and you can completely disassemble it for cleaning. It's got thick rubber grips that are great when you're hands are covered in blood. I would definitely recommend one.

buck-knives-folding-alpha-hunter-800x571.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My old man bought me a Buck knife when I was 18 and I use it more often than not. I like it because it is sharp enough, but not so sharp I have to be scared of it when I'm elbows deep in deer guts. And it rarely pokes a hole in the stomach unlike the Havalon knives which bust a stomach by just being in the mere presence of it! I've tried other "gut hook" style knives and specialty cutters in the past and I'm not much of a fan. A plain old well sharpened Buck knife is good enough for me...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I carry a Buck Alpha Hunter folder. It has 2 blades one of which is a drop point and the other is a saw blade with a gut hook on top.
I've dressed out many deer with plus a elk. But I don't see it listed anymore on the Buck website. But it can be found on closeout sites by doing a search. Only one I seen listed was a orange colored one as mine is black. The saw blade does a decent job of splitting the breast bone.

Before the Buck I carried a Gerber folder blade type that you changed blade types on. With bloody hands it was one of the most dangerest knife made. Probaly was they dropped it. Still have it and would like to find different blades for it.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've used everything from a small folding pocket knife to something similar to Crocodile Dundee's knife. They all worked OK. Like Greg, my bride spent a bunch of money on a decent knife for me. Same as Greg's. It's a good knife, the gut hook is cool too, but like Jesse, I think about any will do the job. My "new" personal favorite knives for skinning large and small game are some of my deceased Grandfather's old blades. They are a variety of home-made shapes and sizes and show years of wear on them. He could sharpen a knife like no one else, at least that I've seen! I've touched up the blades on the ones I use most, and they are almost scary to touch as well as ugly to look at. Good metal makes a knife and I've never seen a newer knife made of the same materials. I'm pretty sure Grandpa fashioned some of these knives from old saw blades! I'll post pics when I get home....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Like Brock, the best skinning knives I have are very old and from Gramp. I probably have more knives than I will ever use in two lifetimes but I still always seem to go to Gramps knives. I would guess part is the metal but I think a big part is the love, history and memories I had as a child when he first started taking me out afield.
Guess I'm no help here... lol

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Brock you can get knives made of tool steel but be prepared to spend for them. I have contemplated one for awhile now and when I finally cross taking a Dave canterbury class off my bucket list I will have one.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I use the swing blade and have never looked back. have a whole drawer full of high dollar knives and none do the complete job as it.

I used a buddies once and I agree. Best damn knife for gutting and cleaning. Jessica got me one with the gut blade and knife that both fold.

Huckleberry Finn

I have some of my great-grandfather's skinning knives as well.

Ordered a Buck 110. Hopefully this becomes something that I hold onto for years to come and can carry on my own tradition. Dad has a Buck 102 and someday it will be mine as well, but for many years to come I'll just let me him butcher my deer with it!

I've used utility knives with roofing blades, gerbers, brownings, customs etc. But I really like the disposable #10 scalpels. Syrvet's cost less than a buck a piece, are designed to go through critters and I throw them away after each use. I order mine through Vally Vet Supply.