Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Will it work?

Diablo54

Outside
My girlfriend has started bow hunting this year. She has always shot but this year she has shot a lot better than years past and is ready to hunt. Last night we hunted in my new blind. I put it in the same spot that jake and I killed back to back does last year on opening weekend but they don't seem to come through according to my trail cam until after dark. We sat there anyways last night and watched two does come out on the far side of the field. After it was to dark to shoot I slipped over to the second field edge just to see what was in it with my binocs. There were two does that I could see right away and didn't waste any time standing there and came back to the truck. They were hitting my mineral lick on the field edge. I have several pictures of does and small bucks hitting it in the evening all through the summer. I took the cam down a few weeks ago. But I would say that they are still hitting it in daylight. If we go early tonight and setup te blind in the cluster of trees 15-20 yds from the lick how do you think the deer will react? I feel like they will be skittish and never come close enough. Even if I brush it in. I'm not normally a blind person so this is why I'm asking. Thanks!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Had that buck at 20 yards from my blind this morning. I never brushed it in. Just walked in and set it up and set inside and that was it lol. I was shocked he decided to walk past it and never spooked. He got a little worried as he got to about 40 yards and I thought he was going to ditch back into the corn but he never did. I don't know what an older more mature animal would have done since he was only a 2.5 year old but I would think you 2 could get one out of it.

Diablo54

Outside
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380491802.603973.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380491889.690090.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380491975.471802.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hope it works for you. Maybe if you two quit moaning and rolling around the deer wouldn't have been avoiding the first location of the blind?

Sorry. Someone had to say it. :smiley_crocodile:

Hope it works out. Good luck to you guys!

Over the last few years I've seen deer react to pop up blinds in many ways. Seems some pay little attention and others act like you just threw a hammer at them. I've gone as far as to set up blinds in a place to push deer in a direction I want them to go. A good way to do this is at a trail intersection. Place a pop up on the trail you want the deer not to take and force them to use a trail you are watching. An easier way I found to do this was with bright colored ballons. Tie a couple of ballons on the trail and the wind will move them enough to make most deer go a different direction.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I usually skip the popup and just brush-in a hidey-hole.
I'm convinced that what's natural and hides you is best.
As long as you can sit still.

Except when it's raining.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Looks like a good set up, Taylor. Hope it works out for you two tonight. I'm looking forward to the updates.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Yeah, I agree with Phil! Too much romping around will surly keep them away. Lol.

Seriously, your set up looks great, Tay. It looks a little tight for clear shooting though? Make sure you trim some lanes for your selves. I would definitely smoke it up for sure. Good luck to the both of you.