Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Are chipmunks edible?

teej89

NE PA
You'll be alright, I've never seen anyone die from eating a chipmunk.

With that being said I've never seen anyone eat a chipmunk but have at it! Lol had

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Just don't invite very many people over for dinner. Not much to go around. Stick him! I done one once and it felt good! Only mine was looking straight down the barrel of a 20 ga at like 3"..........Never did find much of him.......:smiley_chinrub:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Had 2 of those little SOB's chirping this morning. Started throwing tree back at the closest one after he wouldn't shut up for 45min. straight. Going to take the small game tip with me next time. Would have been almost worth loosing an arrow to shut him up.

A few years back
I was atacked by one

Must have been to close to it's home

Well a 45 cal 300 gr lead slug at 2' dose one in

But I never thought of eating it

Maybe next one

John

buckstar25

T-county
Redcloud, that's the only thing that stopped me from lettin him have it, loosing my FMJ and broadhead! I think about eating those little suns-a-bitches all the time. Wanna do them like wings.... Haha

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Yes! I hear ya. Chipmunks are prolly theist annoying animal in the woods.
A couple years ago I was in a really good set, an oak flat with anticipations of great rutting activity. It was ruined by a bunch of those bastards blasting me with their chirping. After an hour or so, a rather large Red-tailed hawk came in HOT and snagged one of them! I started "fist pumping" and it sure made me happy. Of course the noisy racket just got worse, but it was a sight to see! Lol.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Badger probably has a recipes for cooking em up lol
(BTW; his ground hog was outstanding!)

buckstar25

T-county
Yes! I hear ya. Chipmunks are prolly theist annoying animal in the woods.
A couple years ago I was in a really good set, an oak flat with anticipations of great rutting activity. It was ruined by a bunch of those bastards blasting me with their chirping. After an hour or so, a rather large Red-tailed hawk came in HOT and snagged one of them! I started "fist pumping" and it sure made me happy. Of course the noisy racket just got worse, but it was a sight to see! Lol.

I figure I can at least put a dent in the population with a pellet gun! And yea I moved a bit to get situated and the little suckler was right under me, sat there and chirped for 30 minutes!!

buckstar25

T-county
Badger probably has a recipes for cooking em up lol
(BTW; his ground hog was outstanding!)

I looked into them last year and came upon a few good ones but something about preparation. The website said they can make you sick if not prepared correctly???

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I looked into them last year and came upon a few good ones but something about preparation. The website said they can make you sick if not prepared correctly???

I cant image why. They eat the same foods as squirrel

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I don't mind them chirping as long as they are not right below me chirping at me. I use them as natures little tattle tales. If you ever hear on chirping in the distance you might want to keep an eye toward that direction pretty regularly in your scanning of the woods. I have seen a bunch of different animals because the chirps of the chipmunk told me what way to look. Little red squirrels are the same way although they tend to bark at just about everything so I don't trust them as much as chipmunks. Great tool to use in your favor in the woods but they sure are a pain in the ass when they are chirping because of you being picked off. They will go on and on forever once they spot you.