Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who has ?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
How many times have we seen on TV where a hunter bags their deer during the last few minutes of their hunting trip right before they have to leave. It seems like every time I turn the channel it's happening. I myself have arrowed a doe in the last ten minutes of the entire bow season, so I do beleive in it. I'd just like TOO see who else has accomplished this feat & hear their story.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How many times have we seen on TV where a hunter bags their deer during the last few minutes of their hunting trip right before they have to leave. It seems like every time I turn the channel it's happening. I myself have arrowed a doe in the last ten minutes of the entire bow season, so I do beleive in it. I'd just like TOO see who else has accomplished this feat & hear their story.

Typical hunting show..

Day one - pass up a monster, it's just too early
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4 Still nothing
Day 5 We only have a day left
LAST DAY.. Nothing all day. last minute of camera light. Shoots a deer.. fist pump, fist pump. getting it done in YYY state. whoooo.. More fist pump.. Do you believe this.. Oh man.. WOW.. ldown to the wire...

And I'm like

:smiley_armscrossed::BS:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A few years back I nearly killed an elk in the last few minutes of a NM elk hunt. We drove all the way home, all three of us having been very close to killing in the last day or so. We came home for four or five days, loaded up and drove all the way back to NM and stayed for the remainder of the season - none of us killed or even came close on our 2nd trip of the season. Dumb, dumb, dumb....
As annoying as the last day fist pumping, can you believe it crap is, I'd find it a whole lot more entertaining if they'd shut off the stupid mood-music and just let us hear the deer walk in.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hunted very hard in 2011. From opening day to the last day of the season. With an hour of shooting light left in the season i watched a huge nanny doe and 2 younger deer work a field edge ever so slowly my direction. She took her good old time and nibbled here and there all the way in. With 20 min shooting light left in the season I put an arrow in the big nanny doe. I was fist pumping and completely psyched. My buddy showed up and was like "What? It is just a doe." Well, not to me it wasn't. It was my last tag and closure to a long season. I don't care what time of the year it is, those big old does are just as tough to kill as a mature buck. Late season is even worse in my opinion.

Typical hunting show..

Day one - pass up a monster, it's just too early
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4 Still nothing
Day 5 We only have a day left
LAST DAY.. Nothing all day. last minute of camera light. Shoots a deer.. fist pump, fist pump. getting it done in YYY state. whoooo.. More fist pump.. Do you believe this.. Oh man.. WOW.. ldown to the wire...

And I'm like

:smiley_armscrossed::BS:

It happens way to often on tv to be real. I've never done it myself.

Strizzi

I got my first buck last year during shotgun season with 10 mins left of shooting time! I waited the whole weekend for that little guy, and he showed up the last day with just minutes left. I was on cloud nine for weeks!

I remember a hunt a friend of mine and I had years ago. We had driven nearly five hours to arrive in West Virginia for a one day deer hunt. When we arrived that morning it was raining steadily. I had hunted here before and knew it was a good spot. We grabbed our rifles and packs and headed up the big hill to a watch a power line right of way. I had taken a buck off of this power line the last two years on opening day. Having only one day to hunt didn't bother me at all, the weather was another story. I hunkered in my poncho for hours and saw nothing. At about 4 o'clock my buddy shows up on the power line about 300 yards in front of me. He motions to me that he is headed to the truck. I intercepted him and convinced him to stay the last 40 minutes of the day. We sat side by side on a fallen log. He sat there grumbling about how bad of a day we had. I told him your in the woods anything can happen at any time. At about 4:50 he nudges me and stares to our right. I see the flicker of white that I knew was a deers tail. This deer was a mere 15 yards from us just inside the brushy wood line. Soon three deer materalize and I whisper to him the third one is definately a buck. I say let him take one more...BOOM. His .243 blasts the quietness and the deer hits the ground. I think this was the most excited I'd ever seen him. This deer was his first buck ever. He just kept thanking me for not letting him go to the truck. This wasn't the last day of the season, it was opening day, but the only day we had to hunt.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I remember a hunt a friend of mine and I had years ago. We had driven nearly five hours to arrive in West Virginia for a one day deer hunt. When we arrived that morning it was raining steadily. I had hunted here before and knew it was a good spot. We grabbed our rifles and packs and headed up the big hill to a watch a power line right of way. I had taken a buck off of this power line the last two years on opening day. Having only one day to hunt didn't bother me at all, the weather was another story. I hunkered in my poncho for hours and saw nothing. At about 4 o'clock my buddy shows up on the power line about 300 yards in front of me. He motions to me that he is headed to the truck. I intercepted him and convinced him to stay the last 40 minutes of the day. We sat side by side on a fallen log. He sat there grumbling about how bad of a day we had. I told him your in the woods anything can happen at any time. At about 4:50 he nudges me and stares to our right. I see the flicker of white that I knew was a deers tail. This deer was a mere 15 yards from us just inside the brushy wood line. Soon three deer materalize and I whisper to him the third one is definately a buck. I say let him take one more...BOOM. His .243 blasts the quietness and the deer hits the ground. I think this was the most excited I'd ever seen him. This deer was his first buck ever. He just kept thanking me for not letting him go to the truck. This wasn't the last day of the season, it was opening day, but the only day we had to hunt.

Great Story that got me pumped up!