Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Safely installing a ladder stand by one old guy

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I figured out away to put up ladder stands by myself using a block and tackle. Couple weeks ago I put up a 2 man wrap around 17 ft. Big Dog stand. Having no one around to help I sat down and thought hard about doing it myself.
I used a 3 pulley block and tackle with a 100 ft. 3/8" rope. I have a 16 ft. folding ladder that I use to put up a ratchet strap about 20 ft. high on the tree. To the strap I hook one end of the block and tackle, the other end I hook to the ladder stand in the back.
Pull up the stand to desired height, tie the rope off to hold it. Climb up the folding ladder to attach the stand ratchet strap tie downs. Attach the brace between the step and tree.
Done and safely installed without climbing up a ladder stand not attached to the tree. In the past I've had 2 stands throw me off during the attachment process. I didn't get hurt but never again.

The owners manual states at least 3 guys are necessary to safely install a 2 man stand.

Yesterday I put up a one man Big Dog stand in no time at all. I worked out all the fine details to make it easier.
Someone younger than me could use some climbing sticks instead of a ladder.

I have one more 2 man stand to put up. If anyone is interested and think it would benefit the TOO members I will take pictures showing the details.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I put up a 2 man Big Dog stand today using my block and tackle method. It gets easier each time I do it. This was my 3rd stand this year.
Before I explain the method just let me say how great these Big Dog stands are. I bought 4 stands when Menards did a closeout in Feb.-Mar. The material and workmanship is 2nd to none. I've bought and owned at least 10 different ladder stands in the last 25 yrs. and these Big Dog are by far the best there is. Plus the couple I made myself. The 2 man stand has a double rail ladder so you don't get the normal bending of the ladder. All the drilled holes were perfectly in the correct place.
I put up two 2 man wrap around stands and one 1 man stand. The stands are rock solid when installed. The Big Dog stand will be the only stand I will buy in the future.

Picture of the block and tackle with 100 ft. of 3/8" rope. It's a 3 pulley system and close to 100 yrs. old but work perfectly. The rope you pull on as a built in break but I don't use it and I rather to tie the rope off to hold it.

Picture of the ratchet strap holding the top pulley. I did have to cut those branches off after installing. I only had to locate the pulley at the top of the ladder as the ground drops off about 3 ft. from the tree. On the other 2 ladders stand install I located the strap and pulley about 3-4 ft. above the 16 ft. ladder top.

Picture of the bottom pulley attached to the back of the set area. Notice I bolted a plastic chair seat bottom to the right side of the flat seat area. Also there are 4 one inch holes drilled into the seat bottom to drain the water off. Our gunclub has been throwing these chairs away for the past 25 yrs. I have drug at least 10 home over the years and have one mounted to each of my ladder stands. I can do a 12 hour set as the chair bottom supports my hips.

Picture of the stand pulled up. Ready to climb up the foldup ladder to install the 2 ratchet tie down straps. Very safe as no need to climb up the stand ladder to attach the tie downs straps. The mechanical advantage using the block and tackle is unbelieveable easy.

Picture of complete installed ladder stand. Installed the 2 straps from the ladder seat area to bottom of the ladder. Installed the brace between the tree and the steps about 6 ft. high.

A rather easy and very safe method of a one man installing a 17 ft. ladder stand. The manual states at least 3 men are required to install the stand safely.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
That seems more sensible than trying to muscle it up by yourself . I did two stands myself early spring, one was 20', and it nearly killed me.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
One man or two man doesn't matter. The taller stands and the bigger stands are a royal pain even with two people. Thanks for sharing this method Frank!

Good thing you showed the block and tackle as well. You might have shown someone a tool they might never have used otherwise.