Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Maumee River

hunna771

Man, it's been a while since I've been on TOO. Between catchin' fish, school and work I've been busy. Anyways, I had a scheduled 2 hour delay for school (once a month) and unlike 99.9% of the Swanton school population I didn't sleep in. I called my buddy Jake an told him we were gonna be out the door at 6:45 to flyfishthe Maumee River before school. Now I'm pretty familiar with this river between walleye fishin', flyfishing for gar and whitebass and bowfishing, I knew where to go. We figured a crayfish pattern would work for a lot of the fish that were moving with the water being so low. We got to a good flat and it was on! I landed the first fish of the morning, and although regarded as a 'trash fish', they are one heckuva fight! Common carp on a 7 wt. rod and 6 lb leader. Fish was in the 6 or 7 lb range if i had to guess. We ended up catching a few sheephead, some smallmouths and a whitebass. Not bad for less than 2 hours to fish and heading to school in muck boots covered in carp slime! Livin' the dream!
carpp.jpgsheep.jpg

:smiley_clap::smiley_bril::smiley_bril::smiley_bril:

That's good stuff and then some!! Reminds me of the college days up at Sault Ste. Marie getting up early to try to catch a few fish before heading to classes. Man I miss those moments, so cherish what you have and take plenty of pics for yourself!!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Hit the Towpath yesterday for a few hours with a few buddies. 7 legal walleye between 3 of them and a goose egg for me. I lost a couple legals right at the start then never touched another after that. Fishing should be great by the end of the week

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Hit the Towpath yesterday for a few hours with a few buddies. 7 legal walleye between 3 of them and a goose egg for me. I lost a couple legals right at the start then never touched another after that. Fishing should be great by the end of the week

Were you guys in the water or able to fish from the bank?

My stepson is 13 and wants to hit up the river sometime this week, doesn't have waders yet, and I'm a little hesitant to put him in the water until the level goes down a little.