Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scope question.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Setting up a long range ar15 upper. Thinking optics for it. Plans are 2-600+ yards for paper, groundhogs and coyotes. Thinking vortex and the pst series as a great value and the illuminated reticle for evening hunting. 2.5-10 was my original thought but am also contemplating the 4-16 but am afraid that the 4x is to much for a closer in coyote especially if it is moving.

What say you TOO?

Once you start shooting past 200 yards a 9x or 10x won't be enough magnification for clear target acquisition, whether it's paper or varmint. I've got a 4x16 Weaver on my rifle and love it.

My rifle is sitting on a bi-pod next to me, when I'm calling, just in case something thinks it's out of range. I always have a shotgun as my front weapon, for anything inside 50 yards or quick/moving shots.

Bowhunter57

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Once you start shooting past 200 yards a 9x or 10x won't be enough magnification for clear target acquisition, whether it's paper or varmint. I've got a 4x16 Weaver on my rifle and love it.

My rifle is sitting on a bi-pod next to me, when I'm calling, just in case something thinks it's out of range. I always have a shotgun as my front weapon, for anything inside 50 yards or quick/moving shots.

Bowhunter57

I thought there was a regulation that you could only have one weapon with you at a time for hunting. I have a 3-9 on my .243 and other than visual clarity (ts a cheap scope) have no problems putting the lead on groundhogs out to 4-500 yards.

Hedgelj said:
I thought there was a regulation that you could only have one weapon with you at a time for hunting.
Hedgelj,
I don't know where you might've heard that, but it's total BS. I've carried the shotgun for my front weapon, the rifle on a bi-pod and have a handgun on a tactical holster, in case I have to finish it off and don't want to waste another rifle or shotshell cartridge. Carrying a long gun and a handgun, at the same time, is what law enforcement refers to as "heavily armed". :smiley_blink:

The only restrictions for coyotes are: no poison, no explosives and a maximum capacity of 30 rounds per magazine.
This really sucks, as it disallows the use of my RPG, M79 and a M249. :smiley_arrogant:

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

Bowhunter57

Really? For anything but paper punching I find 10X more than enough. Heck even for paper punching it works great. But I do prefer more magnification after 400. An adjustable objective has become almost a must.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Really? For anything but paper punching I find 10X more than enough. Heck even for paper punching it works great. But I do prefer more magnification after 400. An adjustable objective has become almost a must.

A lot depends on the quality of the optics. Higher quality optics need less magnification.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
A lot depends on the quality of the optics. Higher quality optics need less magnification.

Gramps was hell on a target at 600 with the Garand. Open sights...

Makes me wanna start shooting CP but I need another hobby like another hole. If I was a wealthy man I would be shooting it though.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There are many variables here.
The quality of the scope, the eye sight of the shooter, and the experience of the shooter.
I always needed a 20 or 24 power for long range when PD shooting out west due to my eye sight. My son with better eye sight got along just fine with a 12 power. But we both shot high quality scopes such as Leupold, Burris, or Redfield.
When the subject of scopes come up I always think of a friend of mine who went PD shooting with us out west. He would build up a 1000.00 Match AR then put a 30.00 Bushnell scope on it and always wondered why he couldn't see the 300-500 yd. PD's. He was a Expert match shooter with good eyes with a poor quality scope.
I guess what I'm saying is but the best scope possible to get the max out of a accurate rifle.