Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blowing out deer

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I was just wondering what you guys do in the early AM if you bump deer on the way to your stand and they start snorting at you. I've done this a few times over the past five years and it really kills my confidence. What's your next move?

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Keep walking, get in your stand and wait. As long as they didn't wind you they may come back. Especially during rut some deer have a very short memory. Not sure where you hunt but down my way all we have is small wood lots sometimes its almost impossible to get to your stand without bumping deer.

Huckleberry Finn

I'd rather blow a deer out then bump a turkey off a roast. It happens.

What is the suggestion for the opposite scenario, when you're in the tree stand and there are deer in front of you and it gets dark?

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I'd rather blow a deer out then bump a turkey off a roast. It happens.

What is the suggestion for the opposite scenario, when you're in the tree stand and there are deer in front of you and it gets dark?

Howl like a yote or bark like dog. Usually doesnt take long. In mornings I'll snort back at them and if im close to stand , kinda skip and sound like another deer

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I had a deer blow at me on my way to my stand 2 yrs ago, I just kept walking like I didn't hear it and wet ahead to my stand. 40 minutes later came the buck I shot, from the same direction.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Thanks guys. I texted RedHunter yesterday, but I wanted to see what others did in this situation.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I still think you're crazy about this. I should know better than to call you crazy; but I think you're crazy!

Ask Joe. Any coonhunter will tell you deer are stupid, and they are when you shine a light in their eyes. The other option would be for you to shine a light in a deer's eyes and walk up to it...they will let you.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Ask Joe. Any coonhunter will tell you deer are stupid, and they are when you shine a light in their eyes. The other option would be for you to shine a light in a deer's eyes and walk up to it...they will let you.

can you pet them?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes, I use an old style regular old white light. LEDs do not seem to hold their attention as well.

Mike, I've been close enough to them to get nervous, seriously. Shut the light off and talk to them. That will send 'em away, but if you shine 'em again they will usually stop.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Biggest buck I have killed came in after bumping 3 or 4 deer right under my stand on the way in. That was during the day. In the mornings, I usually try to walk like a deer, stopping every 3 to 4 steps once I get into the woods, and have had very good luck walking past deer without spooking them.