Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

vacation dillema

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I have 10 days of vacation to schedule for the upcoming deer season, usually I take a two week block and hunt hard for 2 weeks but I have had problems in the past with the temperature. It doesn't seem to matter what 2 weeks I take off one of the 2 weeks is unseasonably warm. I'm thinking this year I might take 5 four day weekends instead of 2 straight weeks, this would give me four day weekends from the last weekend in October to Thanksgiving, or should I just take my 2 week stretch and stick with it? I can take the 2 weeks whenever I want but the 4 day weekends would give me more time in the woods spread out over a greater time period. So what do you guys think? 5 four day weekends or a 2 week block?

Buckmaster

Portage
Spread it out. You'll enjoy it better.

This season I'm trying for the block. The opposite of what I usually do. I'm looking for that single 10 buck day that usually happens every couple years.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I think your odds go up 2 weeks straight but I think youll enjoy hunting more long weekends too.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I agree with Buckmaster, I would spread it out as well, just because I would be dead tired if I hunted daylight to dark 10 days in a row. I just don't have it in me to do that. Long weekends are usually the way I go as well. Or maybe take 5 days off your favorite week and a couple long weekends after that?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I agree with Buckmaster, I would spread it out as well, just because I would be dead tired if I hunted daylight to dark 10 days in a row. I just don't have it in me to do that. Long weekends are usually the way I go as well. Or maybe take 5 days off your favorite week and a couple long weekends after that?

That would be the best hunt 1 week straight then hunt a few long weekends too. That is what im doing and hell im communting from Texas!

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I like the block of time. My reasoning for that is mainly my travel from Columbus to Athens, if I had my own private land out the back door I may switch. Another reason is accumulated deer behaviors, what I mean by that is being in the woods each day allows me to witness first hand the stages of the rut, watch the progress, then react by moving stands if needed. One day things can be on fire then the next week-end nothing. I also enjoy the camping aspect as well with family and friends.

gavennn

I think the sweet spot is the 8th -16th that where im focussing. But i will take days off to rest and only hunt half days or not at all.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Yeah, I would spread them out. You have a better chance at hitting the weather on at least some of your vacation. Call in sick, if there's a day before or after one of your spans? Lol.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Spreading them out helps your morale a lot. I hunt a block every year because it's the only option I have. By day four I'm so ready to leave, it lowers my chances of holding out on a borderline buck. I shot a nice one last year, but it's def something I would pass this year. By day 5 if action hasn't been hot and heavy every day, I'll have a really hard time holding off. I know I'm so burnt out after 7 days, I never want to hunt again...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have enough time saved up I could do a week with four day weekends also. I'm going to have to look a little closer at that.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Do you have an flexibility or are you locked in to the days you pick?

I'm fortunate in that I don't need preapproval for vacation days, I simply take them as needed. I've done the big blocks, but prefer 4 and 5 day stretches. If things are hot, I always have the option of hunting another day or two since I'm not locked in to specific days.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Do you have an flexibility or are you locked in to the days you pick?

I'm fortunate in that I don't need preapproval for vacation days, I simply take them as needed. I've done the big blocks, but prefer 4 and 5 day stretches. If things are hot, I always have the option of hunting another day or two since I'm not locked in to specific days.

I'm not locked in Jesse, I can call work and change days off as long as its by 2 oclock the day before.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not locked in Jesse, I can call work and change days off as long as its by 2 oclock the day before.

I'd stay flexible then. I have 8 days for bowhunting so, so we are in similar spots. My plan was to hunt 11/8-11/12 and 11/15-11/19, then use the remaining days to play weather and current observations. Alsheimer says 14-21 this year and I trust his science/data enough to take it into serious consideration when planning vacation.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm a Halloween guy. Lots of big ones die at the end of Oct. I'm taking last week of Oct and first of Nov. ZJ likes to hunt Halloween for sure!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'd break it up as well! Less burn out, weather, lock down and knowing your wad is not totally shot on day 10 if your taking the block and still carrying your buck tag. Good luck with whatever you decide!