Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Long range tips

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know it is late to be attempting to "fix" any issues with my long range shooting. However, I will say I am extremely confident (90-100% confident) in shots 30yds and under and probably 75% confident at 40yds. Outside of one deer I killed at 36yds, I don't think I have ever killed one over 25-28yds. My only desire to fine tune my longer range shots is personal confidence.

I realize form and practice are critical. I realize a finely tuned bow is essential. What other tips do you have to offer? I would like a bit more consistency at 40yds and tighter groups out further. Open to all suggestions or criticism. I will be first to note I probably do not have the greatest form. Not punching the trigger is what I have been focusing on the most lately.

I should also add I have found my best groups shot are from a seated position. I sit to shoot from the tree stand most often, so I practice shooting sitting quite a bit.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep and yep.

Also, form issues are magnified once you get out past 40 yds or so. BUT, you can still shoot good groups if you're consistent, even with less-than-perfect form. What I'm trying to say is, yes you need to focus on good form, but focus MORE on being more consistent. You need to repeat things the same, every time... every aspect of your shot routine... thinking about your target, your grip on the bow, your anchor, the amount of pressure on your joints while at full draw, the smoothness of your release... etc. For the most part I'm exaggerating a bit since you're looking to shoot 40-50 yd groups and not 100 yd groups, but you get the idea. Go back to 50 or 60 yards and start shooting. Use your FULL concentration. Focus on consistency. Once you're dropping 'em in at that range, move back up to 40... you'll be happy.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you have decent form (which you should have if you've shot much at all, Phil), the only thing your mind should focus on is aiming. Every thing else should be done subconsciously. Don't think about anything, but watching your pin on or floating around on your mark. DO NOT think "Ok, now I'm gonna shoot", there is no better way to foul up a shot. Watch that pin with your finger resting ON the trigger. Train your back muscles to pull, but don't think about it consciously, just do it. AIM, and think of nothing else. If you do it right, your shot will be away and your arrow where you want it without you meaning to turn it loose. This is what works for me, but it is hard to explain... Fact is, your mind can only concentrate on one thing at a time, and if you are thinking about squeezing the trigger, you aren't aiming. AIM.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Brock- I am self taught. I won't sit here and tell you I have good form. Truthfully don't know. What I do know is I have errant shots when I punch the trigger. Duh, right?

Appreciate the input fellas. Sounds like I need to start shooting farther and then work back in closer.

Consistency is most certainly something I have been focusing on. Same grip, working back muscles, follow thru, floating pin, etc. For awhile I was thinking I had some issues with the size or color of the pins at longer ranges. Now with the new bow the spacing between pins is a tad further and I feel I can eliminate this as the issue. Seeing the target much further could be an issue down the road though. Time to head to Florida for a tune up on my vision sooner or later. lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm self taught too, Phil. Thing is, if a person concentrates too much on the little things, it will negatively affect shooting. If there is something about form a person wants to work on, it shouldn't be done while shooting at a mark imo. Closed eyes, blank bale shooting works great for form work. I just don't want to see you getting all out of whack with season a week away!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I appreciate that thought. You are correct. This would be a bad time to over think things and bugger up my confidence. I will continue to practice as I have been and not worry about any longer range shots. I really have just been practicing the repetition of consistency. Muscle memory and repetition to make sure things go right when you put it on "auto pilot" will probably do me more good than anything right now. Just shooting more reps has tightened up the groups. I won't worry about the longer range stuff until next year.

For what it is worth, I liked the suggestion about only focusing on aiming. The other steps I am going thru is more or less just a checklist I am going over in my head before I aim. Goes something like: Breath, draw, level sight with both eyes open as I find my kisser button, settle my nose on the string as I close one eye (have to being right handed/left eye dominant), find my yardage pin on the target, recheck bubble level, mentally remember to use back muscles and push/pull as I am floating pin over target, and somewhere in here i usually find the arrow leaving without thinking about the trigger. When I am thinking about the trigger there is a flinch/jerk which is horrendous. If I don't think about it it goes smoothly.

Granted, all these happen within a couple seconds to maybe 5 seconds, but these are the things I go thru and want to practice in efforts to make them thoughtless steps.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like the trail Jimbo was on. You can have "bad" form and still be a consistent shot. I tell people all the time that until you learn to shoot groups that tell a story, you might as well forget adjusting pins and fooling with other stuff...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree wholeheartedly, Jesse. Form will straighten out if you work on grouping, and as Jim said, just do the same thing over and over. When your groups spread out, it's because you have done something differently. A poorly tuned bow will shoot great groups from a Hooter Shooter because there is no human error involved.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Milo tuned the bow. I think we can rule out the bow. Working on my personal consistency is what I will continue to focus on.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Lots of great advice here Phil. I have always struggled shooting at longer yardages, but I will tell you what works for me.

When I shoot long distances, I have to force myself to settle in on the spot and not just punch the trigger the first time the pin crosses it. I think that's one of the biggest things with shooting at longer yardages, at least for me, is taking your time.

I attached the GoPro to the bow the other day just to see what the video would look like. At 40y, my average hold time was over 10 seconds before the shot. Once I draw, I find my anchor and make sure it is solid, then bring my pin up to the spot. Once I'm there, I hold it and assure that I'm holding solid before I squeeze the trigger. I don't have the greatest form, but I believe I shoot pretty well.

Here was a single 5 arrow group today at 40y. Not the best, but I'm happy with it. I just focused on taking my time and easing in to the shot.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree wholeheartedly, Jesse. Form will straighten out if you work on grouping, and as Jim said, just do the same thing over and over. When your groups spread out, it's because you have done something differently. A poorly tuned bow will shoot great groups from a Hooter Shooter because there is no human error involved.

EXACTLY! You summarized my long-winded bullshit into just one sentence. Wish I could do that! LMAO

Archery is doing the something over and over again. You have to build muscle memory. As far as points and heads a heavier one will group better. Other than that everyone has covered everything my experiences have lead me to believe.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I believe when I started this thread I should have waited. I had just finished shooting a TON of arrows. 10-12 dozen. I think my inconsistencies were due to fatigue. I know. One of the cardinal rules: When you get tired, STOP!

I don't think this thread is worthless though. There are some excellent pointers and advice from a solid group of archers with decades of experience. I truly appreciate it and I am sure it will help myself and others.

I shot 12 arrows tonight. 3 arrows each at 20,30,40, and 50yds. I ensured I was using the same consistencies in grip, anchor points, and routine. I was running out of daylight, but I am very very happy with my results.

Here is 40yds.

I had never shot before at 50yds. I guessed the distance on my 50yd pin and here is the result.

I think what I have learned the most here is to continue to practice. Focus on consistency and aim point. Most of all, I have learned I need to stop thinking. I need to just continue to do what I am doing without thinking too much. This is NOT the time to screw up my head. I will keep shooting further distances but only to help me dial in my 20-30yd shots. I am still going to limit shot distance on deer. I am not a pro by a long shot, but any dummie knows a hunting situation is very different than a shot at a live deer. Now if a coyote steps out at 50yds it is game on! Thanks again guys.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
One other question I feel all will benefit from: What do you do with your breathing? I have found myself taking a deep breath and exhaling before I draw. I take another breath, but tend to find myself holding my breath as I am aiming. Sometimes I need to tell myself to exhale and breath again if I take longer to aim and shoot. I feel this might be my north/south differences on some shots. Again, I really don't want to change things or screw myself up. I do think I should have some consistency in this department though.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Phil, on some shots I hold at full draw for 15 seconds... I breathe. I think you develop a rythym with shooting, but I don't have a clue what mine is!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil, on some shots I hold at full draw for 15 seconds... I breathe. I think you develop a rythym with shooting, but I don't have a clue what mine is!

Same here. I honestly don't think about breathing while at full draw. I know I don't hold my breath, though. I just try to relax as best I can and put 100% focus on that one tiny little spot... then "flunk," the arrow is gone.

themedic

OHIO
This is probably the worst year of shooting Ive ever had. Guess I have not had enough "range" time and keep changing equipment. I just put a single pin slider on a couple days ago, I love the single pin but it doesn't work with my tight spot quiver.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My shot sequence is the same, everytime. If it isn't then that is when I pull one, drop my arm or "peek" for the shot (outcome). Mine is:
- Grip
- Anchor
- Center sight in peep
- Level
- Aim and pull
- Aim and pull
- Aim and pull

Hopefully it goes off soon or before now (if using my hinge), the wrist strap would have went off before then.