Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Toxic broad heads

mightymet

Has any one tried these out? I bought them and tried them out today. They fly nice and leave a wicked looking hole in the target. They also destroyed my target. I did notice that they seem to fly better with a straight vane than a helix. I have them in Easton axis arrows with blazers. What do you think about these?

I wanted to post pictures but I get a message that the forum has disabled that function.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
They sure look it. How are you supposed to sharpen that? Poor investment if you can't even re use them

I wondered the same thing, also thought they just looked like they would fly great, but break if hitting bone. I am happy im not alone.

mightymet

Sharpening them is not an issue. I have the tools for that. Replacement blades are also available. I took them out of the package at the store before I bought them. They are solid. I was shooting them out to 60 yards today and they flew great. I was getting great penetration into the target. The problem was getting them back out. They leave a unique hole when it hits. I'm very curious to see what it does to a deer. I would like to put one through a piece of plywood just to see what happens. If I feel like throwing more money away I may just try it.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Sharpening them is not an issue. I have the tools for that. Replacement blades are also available. I took them out of the package at the store before I bought them. They are solid. I was shooting them out to 60 yards today and they flew great. I was getting great penetration into the target. The problem was getting them back out. They leave a unique hole when it hits. I'm very curious to see what it does to a deer. I would like to put one through a piece of plywood just to see what happens. If I feel like throwing more money away I may just try it.

Dude smoke a doe and take a lot of pics I want to see what they do!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

I don't think you would get one through a sheet of plywood, just my opinion. I think the head has too much surface area to punch through any type of bone or anything solid, too much of a chance for blades to bend and not allow the head to pass. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting them, but that is me. I'm sure on a perfect broadside shot they would leave a great hole and blood trail as well.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
For the photo sharing. You have a setting wrong in tapatalk. To fix it. when replying to a post tap the three dots on the right side next to the twitter bird. Tap photo sharing. Select attachment. From now on it will let you post pics to the forum as an attachment.

Diablo54

Outside

I would still like to know how your Gona sharpen them

mightymet

I have round stones I use on serrated knives and I have a dremel tool with round stones that fit in there real nice.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
the blades are pretty thick, my brother is shootiong them. they are pretty impressive what they do to a target. i told him too stay away from the shoulder, not knowing what there actually going to do but i would say they prolly wouldnt have a problem if he hit the shoulder.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Maybe the better question is why shoot these over something proven? For the "cool" factor? Just curious as they seem like another gimmick to me. Not sure I see an inherent advantage...

They do look wicked, just I wonder as well what they will do when they hit a rib or shoulder blade. My initial feeling is that penetration will suffer once they contact one or the other. Will be interesting to see and hear how they perform this year for people.

buckstar25

T-county
Maybe the better question is why shoot these over something proven? For the "cool" factor? Just curious as they seem like another gimmick to me. Not sure I see an inherent advantage...

Cornering the market for marginal shots, that what expandables do. Shoot a deer in the leg with a rage, swhacker, etc., and its as good as dead, at least that's what the companies pitch is!

That's all some people need to hear/see. Muzzy has been basically unchanged for how many years and they are still one of the best broadheads out there, the same can be said for a ton of others.

Supposedly the design of the cutting surface is so when the blades hit a rib/bone they won't stop. If you notice the blade is not closed off, it is left open for that purpose.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I think you all need to smoke a doe with one this saturday and take lots of pictures of the hole/blood trail. I am interested to check it out!