Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Better day at the range

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Seems a loose scope mount can really create some issues, and tightening those mounts makes a world of difference.

I sighted in at fifty yards first, then worked on one hundred yards. I have settled on 100 grain pellet, and a 250 grain powerbelt aerotip.

I made scope adjustments between each shot. When I fired the fifth shot I was ok with where it hit and figured I would shoot one more without any adjustment. I thought that sixth shot was off the paper and decided to clean the gun, let the barrel cool a bit, and shoot again. The seventh and eighth shots were good enough for me so I called it a day. (I was down to 3 bullets anyway). After retrieving the target I realized that the sixth shot had actually hit the same hole as the fifth.

I may not be pegging the bullseye, but four shots in a row within 3 inches of the bullseye will kill a deer.

The other holes with stickers over them were from the .45 CVA. I was having some difficulty until I realized the bullet was'nt seating correctly. I was putting so much pressure on the push rod that it was actually grabbing the bullet and pulling it out a little when I removed the rod.
The three holes that line up from bullseye out to about 7 oclock, were the last three with that gun. once again, I may not have dotted the eye, but the last 2 shots touching within 3 inches of the bull is good enough for me.

I was also relieved to find that as busy as the range was today, everyone was nice enough to shoot at their own targets. that helps alot as well.

Huckleberry Finn

That is clearly walking the shots in.

Shots 2-7 (and probably all 7) would certainly be in the boiler room.

Glad you got it all worked out!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Glad too see you got your issue worked out Dave.... I had a similar day this time last year until Sam bailed me out lol...... Stuff happens lol....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to hear you got the bugs out Dave! Some of the simplest things can throw us off at times. Dead deer walking out there with your name on it right now. Good luck!