Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kind of funny story, but got me thinkin....

buckstar25

T-county
So we went to a new section of ground to hang another cam and check one that had been there a week. After a quick check which revealed zilch we moved up the hill to another area I wanted to look at and possibly hang the cam. We get close to a spot I had a stand 20 years ago and it's all cleared out and I see a cam and mineral site. I know the fella that is running the cam, at least I think I do and he has hunted there for a few years.

As we are checking out the site and telling stories I look over my left shoulder and there I see a Beech tree that has recently been shredded! The gap between the brow tines was pretty impressive and the height of the gash's was equally exciting. I said "Holy Shit, check that out", almost immediately my buddy says...."Whatever made that, is on that" (pointing at the cam). Add looooooong pause....interrupted by me turning on my heel saying "just walk away"!

So, would taking the card out putting it in the laptop and seeing what made the rub be comsidered a dick move!? We talked about it the whole way home but in the end, I know how it feels to have someone messing with my stuff. That's why I turned and walked away. To say it didn't cross my mind would be a flat out lie!

buckstar25

T-county
Haha, yeah! It was like he turned into a young dumb teenager again! I was more blown away by the size of the tree that got shredded. One thing I am hoping is that if someone walks up on our unlocked cams they would do the same!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Man that sucks! But you did the right thing, I would be pissed if someone did it to me.

Agreed.

If you know the guy, call him and ask. Tell him what you saw and explain how tempting it was but you refrained. He might just email or text you a picture of what was making the rub. Or he might be pissed to find out there were other hunters in there the week before the season doing scouting. lol

buckstar25

T-county
Hicks, if its him I am just shocked he has a computer so I could be wrong in guessing he has a phone!

Just got me thinking how many times does this happen? How many people walk by your cams in the woods and never touch them, or check your cards if its not locked?

Also got us thinkin, since we are in the heart of Grassman territory and I just so happen to have a Halloween costume....but yeah like I said we had some fun ideas!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe you have others hunting in there as well? If so, and not someone you know then all the more reason to leave it be in my opinion. You did right.

buckstar25

T-county
Yeah, I see what you mean. If its not one of 5 guys' cams its a trespasser but his stand is 60 yds away, has been in the same spot for years. No new guys in there according to my neighbor.

I said it makes me want to buy a bunch of lock boxes, just for piece of mind! Haha

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I know where the neighboring guy has a cam and I have never touched his cam or gear just because I would like to think he would respect my stuff with the same respect as I do his.

Now during the summer I would find it fun to slap on a costume and go run past somebodies cam that I knew lmao Would be funny as hell to hear that phone call lol.