Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sinus surgery

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Anybody ever have it done? How was it? Did it work? Recovery?

I have chronic sinus issues that also cause severe ringing in my ears and the Doc recommended surgery, but I'm a bit leary, especially with hunting season coming. How long would I be laid up? I was in a treestand the day after a vasectomy. LMAO!

Any input?

Buckmaster

Portage
I had deviated septum surgery in Dec 2011.
The 7am surgery and recovery lasted the morning. I was home around by noon.
Laid in bed the first day with a nose bleed mask on. Kind of like a half of maxi pad between my nose and mouth. Bled for the first day changing my facial pads every hour or so.

Second day a little better but just laid around the house watching some DVR'd shows.

Decent recovery by day 3-4 still home from work. I missed 5-6 work days in all.

Basically recovered at one week upon return to the Doctors to get the plastic inserts removed from my nose. The main surgical stitch holding the plates between my nostrils was the biggest pain. It was more like a wire routed through my nose then stitches. No nose blowing for a month. Avoid sneezing if you can. Netty Pot flushing 3 times per day for the first month.

All in all, I'd do it again. It worked and I can now breath through my nose again. My snoring has been reduced by a few decibles.

Buckmaster

Portage
So you're saying that I can't spend my recovery in a treestand? Bummer!

After days 3-4 you could.....depending how cold the air would be.
By then, the swelling would have subsided and the bleeding would have stopped.
You may have some plastic hardware hanging out of your nose.

If successful in your hunt, you can't do any heavy lifting either.

Try U-Tube to review your personal procedure and recovery. I've watched a few of the surgeries I have had and they were pretty accurate from a UTube perspective.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have considered this surgery as well. Chronic allergies and runny nose. Probably have less than 50% usage of my nose if I had to guess. All it is good for is holding up my glasses and giving the snot a place to run out of.

I do know several people who have had it done and they were glad they did.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Like Ben, I had the same surgery and would highly recommend scheduling it ASAP and getting it done and put behind you! I breathe much easier and I have a lot less bouts with sinusitis and breathing probs. I was back doing things in my normal routine within a week or so. The ringing in the ears would drive me nuts to want to do it anyway! Are you sure it's not due to going to TOO many concerts?!? Lmao

Hope you get it taken care of Mike!

Buckmaster

Portage
So with all these breathing problems....who's using a CPAP machine?

I got mine after my deviated septum surgery when I could breath again. It does help my sleeping issues.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Like Ben, I had the same surgery and would highly recommend scheduling it ASAP and getting it done and put behind you! I breathe much easier and I have a lot less bouts with sinusitis and breathing probs. I was back doing things in my normal routine within a week or so. The ringing in the ears would drive me nuts to want to do it anyway! Are you sure it's not due to going to TOO many concerts?!? Lmao

Hope you get it taken care of Mike!

The concert thing and guns is what the Doc thought, but everytime my sinusitis flares up the ringing gets worse. I know the ringing is from sinus pressure. And, the ringing is usually worse in my left ear and that's the side that needs worked on.

I may hurry up and get it so I don't miss the good hunting or I may wait until January after the good hunting.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been using a CPAP for 4 yrs. now. I now get a decent nights sleep and wake up refreshed and not as tired. For almost 30 yrs. the doctors thought my tiredness was due to my MS. Maybe 50% was due to MS but the CPAP took care of the other 50%.
I have fought sinus infections problems my whole life. In 1977 it was so bad the doctor recommended I go out West for 6 weeks. I took vacation and sick time and went to the mountians in Northern Arizona and southeren Colorado. I was there only 7 days and I was off all pain medicine.
6 yrs. ago I started taking a teaspoon of honey each morning and was a difference. No sinus problems at all. If something bothers me I take another honey in the evening.
I consider myself cured.

Buckmaster

Portage
Another thing....since I've had my surgery I've been using my netty pot on a rather routine basis. Just flush yourself out. Gone are my seasonal colds too....since Dec 2011. Watch, I'll get a cold next week by discussing this.

Get a Netty Pot at your local pharmacy and try it out. It works! Use distilled water.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Get a Netty Pot at your local pharmacy and try it out. It works! Use distilled water.
Is this the deal which flushes your sinuses? If so I have tried it with no luck. I could never get the fluid to travel from one side to the other. Too much pressure. Squeeze it harder and it just shot in the nostril and down the throat. Not cool. Does this make me a good candidate for the surgery? lmao

No CPAP here.

Frank- I tried the honey route upon your suggestion. Not noticed a lot of difference but continue to use in my morning coffee daily. I figured even if it helped a little it was worth it. Probably better for me than sugar in the coffee anyhow.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hopefully it's better than getting a tonsillectomy as an adult. I was laid up for about two weeks and dropped 17 pounds. It sucked ass but looking back I don't regret having it done... Well worth it IMO. I'm sure the sinus surgery would be worthwhile as well, if it solved the problems of course. Good luck man!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is this the deal which flushes your sinuses? If so I have tried it with no luck. I could never get the fluid to travel from one side to the other. Too much pressure. Squeeze it harder and it just shot in the nostril and down the throat. Not cool. Does this make me a good candidate for the surgery? lmao

No CPAP here.

Frank- I tried the honey route upon your suggestion. Not noticed a lot of difference but continue to use in my morning coffee daily. I figured even if it helped a little it was worth it. Probably better for me than sugar in the coffee anyhow.

I'm a fan of netty pots as well. You shouldn't have to squeeze anything though, Phil. The netty pot works all by gravity alone. If it's not going from one nostril to the other it's because you've got the wrong head angle. Unless your nostrils are somehow isolated from each other, there should be no reason why it wouldn't work. It's a bit tricky, I'll admit... Mainly because it's just so unnatural for a person to pour fluid into their nose. I struggled with it at first. I don't use it as often as I'd like to but I definitely think there are benefits to using one.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe it was just a sinus flush I had. My wife picked it up. Insert into nostril, squeeze bottle, and supposed to drain out other side. I believe my nostrils were extremely inflamed from allergies at the time so maybe there was no opening between them.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I have chronic sinus issues as well, also have a deveated septum. I have tried the Netti pots, and the fluid somehow seemed to end up behind my ears, and I still have chronic ear aches to this day since trying it. Not saying it was all due to the Netti pot, but apparently it is not for everyone. I want to have the Septum surgery done, but have also looked into balloon sinuplasty, a procedure where basically they blow a balloon up in your nose cavity to try to expand your sinuses. Doc said it was last resort. I say 75% of my year is spend with severe sinus congestion and pressure. I feel all of your pain, it can really ruin your day. I use to take two Clariton D's a day for the past 4 years, but recently stopped because it became clear to me that medication was just a band aid and was doing nothing for the cure. I tried Nasal spray and it seemed to help some, but made my nose bleed frequently. After reading the comments on here, I may try the septum surgery. The most painful thing would be taking a week off from work to lay around instead of hunting, but if it makes you feel better then it would be worth it.

ohio
Wow I thought it was just me lol I haven't really been able to breathe out of my nose for years, never really knew why, just dug the concrete out so it was manageable, and use the neti pot every so often