Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mock Scrape Pics

You'll have to forgive me but the date is wrong on this camera. Seems someone forgot to fix it when I put this one out!! The first pic of me finishing up the mock scrapes was on August 18.

7 hours and 51 minutes later that same day it started......Pointdexter showed up and seems to have claimed the area, just like I had hoped he would!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good stuff Chuck. I tried a scrape dripper last year with not much luck. Thinking I may try it again this year. Mock scrapes are always fun!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dandy of a buck there! Good luck. Surprised to see the mock scrapes would draw attention in late August. Good for you though.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Man, those Coverts take great pics! I think "point dexter " needs a place in your man cave. Lol. Mock scrapes are a great and effective method for deer hunting. Thanks for sharing and hope PD gives you an opportunity.

Thanks everyone! Been fun watching him show up here and there on the cams this year. For scents I threw in everything but the kitchen sink!! In the scrapes I used my urine :smiley_carnaval: some Buck Fever Synthetic BF Pre/Post Rut and a squirt or two of Wildlife Research Doe Urine. On the overhanging branch I put a few dabs of Evercalm and sprayed the branch with the Buck Fever Synthetic Forehead Gland.

Our return trip we were out of the BF Pre/Post Rut so we picked up some of the Tinks Power Scrape in place of it.

Good stuff Chuck. I tried a scrape dripper last year with not much luck. Thinking I may try it again this year. Mock scrapes are always fun!

I tried one as well but I never figured out a good way to put them up without completely contaminating the overhanging branch. Even put it on a long branch and tied it in position before but that was a pain in the ass. This year I decided to try to use some of the synthetics that supposedly get stronger when it rains and so far it seems to be working. Last year I didn't do any so I thought I'd better at least give it a try.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
WOW those are some awesome pic of buck... DAMN nice.... I'm a HUGE fan of the mock scrapes too, DAMN GOOD IDEA CHUCK_C.. Since they will hit them all year round so I use them a lot too. Good luck Chuck!!!! As an FYI to others new to SCRAPING!!!, I did my mock scrape prep early August also. I usually put them near my stands where I can get a shot at them. Early August all I did was go in completely scent free then raked the area free of debris in 5' diameter and then took a shovel and dug the dirt up so I get to see sizes of prints at locations I don't have cams and then made sure the licking branch was there because that is a Must have. I usually and typically only do this work just before it rains and this year it rained and washed any remaining my scent away. I use magnum drippers with Active scrape or Golden Scrape which ever I get cheaper because they both work great.. Then I put some tarsal and some inter-digital spray on it and i'm done. They hit that like a corn pile and apples.. JMTC... Good luck Chuck