Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Impact of coonhunters.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
My best hunting property has a house on it that's getting rented out. So I go last weekend to swap cards and put out some apples. And when I got there I noticed they have a coon dog chained up with a tracking collar on him. I'm assuming they're going to be coon hunting on the property which kind of concerns me. Should I be concerned about this, or not?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It is likely a bark collar to keep the dog quiet on the chain. If they hunt him back there occasionally at night it shouldn't bother the deer. Deer constantly have to deal with coyotes that are actually hunting them. They shouldn't care too much about Coondogs treeing coons. Dear are different animals at night, I have thrown dogs off in a woodlot and listened to deer run in a 100 yard circle and come right back to where they were once the dogs passed. I've seen booners feed 50 yards from the truck with both of us standing there. With that said, I wouldn't throw a dog off in my honey hole hunting spot though.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Thanks joe, you're Probly right about the collar. I didn't even think of that. And I mean there's nothing I can do about it, the guy will do what he pleases. But hopefully he can keep it to a minimum haha. When's season come in for coon?

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Thanks joe, you're Probly right about the collar. I didn't even think of that. And I mean there's nothing I can do about it, the guy will do what he pleases. But hopefully he can keep it to a minimum haha. When's season come in for coon?

Season starts the 10th of November, as jackolope said deer are different critters at night I've hunted coondogs since I could be carried to the woods. And I've hunted dogs in the same woods I deer hunt with not much problem at all. Its amazing how a deer will let a dog work a track 40yards from being bedded and just listen to the dog. They are a whole different animal after dark. Now if a dog runs trash so called as a deer you may have trouble but I would say you should be ok.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Season might start Nov 10, but that doesn't mean they won't run the dogs. Might just not carry a gun and shoot them out of the tree. Not sure if this is something which can be done year round or just certain times. Not a coon hunter.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My coon hunting buddy didn't know there was a season until he was 18. He just thought you quit hiding your gun once November rolled around.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Season might start Nov 10, but that doesn't mean they won't run the dogs. Might just not carry a gun and shoot them out of the tree. Not sure if this is something which can be done year round or just certain times. Not a coon hunter.

Everyone runs them year round. You can't run them 3 months a year and expect them to be worth a dang. They're legal to run out of season providing you aren't carrying a firearm. But. Show me a coon hunter that doesn't have a cheap single shot rifle in his dog box and ill show you a counterfeit. Coon hunting during the summer you couldn't shoot them even if you wanted to because you'll never find them in a tree with leaves. But if they tree low or in a fence row where you can get back a ways and shine the tree it's not hard to spot their eyes. With that said. You have to give a dog a coon sometimes to keep his head in the game. Go pulling him off too many trees without a mouth full of fur an he'll get a little mad at you and not want to hunt as hard. Plus. It's hard as hell to pull those crazy things off a tree when they know damn well a coons up there. As for legality when the last time you saw a blurb in cuffs and collars about a coon hunter getting a ticket out of season. Lol. Most wardens don't mess with coon hunters and just look the other way. Hell. Most wardens know every coon hunter in the county. And most coon hunters know every trick in the book.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I am offended at all the comments about us coon hunters shooting a coon out of season. I have been coon hunting from the time I could carry a light and I have never shot one out of season or crawled up a tree and knocked one out to the dogs or poked one in the ass to make it jump out to a dog. Just unheard of.:smiley_blackeye:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Mound,

I would just worry if he takes that dog off the chain during the day. I had a guy do that with three dogs, every time I was hunting they kept running deer from my farm. I dont know what ever happened to those dogs, but they are no longer around, I think a neighbor got fed up.

Hope it works out for you tho!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I am offended at all the comments about us coon hunters shooting a coon out of season. I have been coon hunting from the time I could carry a light and I have never shot one out of season or crawled up a tree and knocked one out to the dogs or poked one in the ass to make it jump out to a dog. Just unheard of.:smiley_blackeye:

Yeah. And they never tree a slick. It's always a den tree. Lol