Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for Charles Alsheimer's 2013 Rut Predictions

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sittin' here on the shitter reading it now...

The "rutting moon" is November 17 this year and he is calling for a trickle rut similar to 2002, 2005, and 2010. We can look for a small percentage of does to come in the first 15 days, causing things to ebb and flow those first two weeks. His pick for a week to hunt is the 14th through the 21st.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
This is just my opinion, but I'd rather hunt that period from Oct. 28- Nov. 14th. Mainly, because when those does are ready to stand, they get those big bastards in lock down. Those two weeks before peak breeding have been very good to me and I usually see more cruising bucks than any other period of the rut.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
This is just my opinion, but I'd rather hunt that period from Oct. 28- Nov. 14th. Mainly, because when those does are ready to stand, they get those big bastards in lock down. Those two weeks before peak breeding have been very good to me and I usually see more cruising bucks than any other period of the rut.

I agree. The rut has never been truly that good for me, but when there getting crazy looking for it to happen, that's when it starts to be magical around here at least.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree with your theory and strategy Ron. Personally, I love this time period as the sightings are increased. I have yet to connect on a rut buck though. On the contrary, my first buck was killed Dec 3, 2008. He was following a group of 5 does, aka "The Second Rut". I killed my second buck Nov 21, 2010. If memory serves correct, I believe it was predicted to be an early rut in 2010. I suspect the heaviest rutting activity had been idle for a week or two at this point. I know the area I was hunting has a heavy doe population so I feel him responding to my calls is what worked. He didn't come in charging on a string, but rather he came in to investigate and see what was making the noise. Came out of a bedding area, started south, but responded to my calls and after hesitation proceeded east. I arrowed him while his head was down rubbing his antlers on a tree. What a rush for my first archery buck!

That said, if I do not connect in mid November, I feel throughout December should be decent as well. There should be a trickle of does in estrous before and after the week Charlie predicted to be heaviest breeding week. 2-3 weeks after I suspect our second wave of activity should start up.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
this is just my opinion, but i'd rather hunt that period from oct. 28- nov. 14th. Mainly, because when those does are ready to stand, they get those big bastards in lock down. Those two weeks before peak breeding have been very good to me and i usually see more cruising bucks than any other period of the rut.