Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Traditions Pursuit Ambush with 3-9x40 Scope Combo

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Does anybody here have one ?

Was looking at getting this one and trying to see if anybody had one to see what they thought about it. pros/cons and what type powder bullet setup they have with it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I was going to buy the Vortex. Looks like a good value.

To pick this gun up I would have to drive pretty close to your place and right past your mom and dads. Anywhere nearby that I could take it and shoot it a few times? Wouldn't be until the 29th or the 6th sometime mid afternoon since I will be in a tree in the mornings.

Lundy

I am sure the gun would work just fine. Easy enough to make any common production run MZ an effective 100 yd deer shooter

I am always leery of combo's when it come to the scope quality. This one may be Ok just don't know. If it will track and hold zero under the pretty heavy pounding from a MZ you will be fine.

I am particular, maybe even more particular, about my scopes as I am about my gun selection

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I am sure the gun would work just fine. Easy enough to make any common production run MZ an effective 100 yd deer shooter

I am always leery of combo's when it come to the scope quality. This one may be Ok just don't know. If it will track and hold zero under the pretty heavy pounding from a MZ you will be fine.

I am particular, maybe even more particular, about my scopes as I am about my gun selection

I hear ya about the scopes. If I had the money upfront for another good scope I would just get a gun without it however, I do alright without a scope out to 100yds or so. The only reason I would need a scope would be for the fields up here but other then that there is no reason to have a scope.

Might just think about going with a newer model with sights and drilled and tapped for future scope if needed. Might look into this one.

Traditions Pursuit Ambush III .50-Caliber Muzzleloader with Premium CeraKote instead. Same price as the one listed above but newer and has the cerakote

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

Thats my thought too. i'm thinking the problems I'm currently having are due to an inferior scope that came on the gun as a combo.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Solves that issue. Going with the III and will add scope later if need be unless somebody has had any issues with the Pursuit line from Traditions?

Huckleberry Finn

Vance's has a TC Impact (black with a blued barrel) for $199 this week. The same gun with the stainless barrel is $279. And a CVA Wolf for $240 (Stainless, Camo stock).

The next one I buy will be stainless...

On the scope, if you buy one without a scope and are looking for something better but won't break the bank, Cabela's aren't bad. They have a 2.5x7 on sale for $40. I specifically asked for this one for Christmas one year but ended up getting their Lever Action 3x9 - it works just fine on my smokepole.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
For some reason I just don't want a CVA. Nothing aginst them since I have not shot them but just don't want one. All I have to go on is stories and I'm sure if I looked good and hard every gun manufacturing company will have bad press but it just left a bad taste with me.

Need something that will last for a good while, easy to load, easy to clean, and can hold a group at a good distance.

With weather being an issue I want something that will not rust before I can get home. (my .223 is horrid about rusting) Like the idea of the CeraKote helping with this issue.

With my budget in the 300 range it limits what I can afford and I know this but I also don't want a cheap made gun either.

Huckleberry Finn

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good point on the scope mounts. Some of the mounts run you another $30 or so. I think I would be leaning towards TC in stainless myself if this were my limit.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
You could consider popping up to shelby and checking out the sportsmans den. They always have a huge selection of muzzys, new and used. That way, you could pick them up, handle them, ask questions...Might even be able to get some suggestions on bullet and powder.

They are closed on sundays

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Still doing some homework lol. Will have to hit Sprtsmans Den and see what they have. Never liked dealing with the guys at the gun counter up there much. Seem a little like your bothering them if you ask about anything. Will have to stop by Monday and see what I can find out or hit the belas in columbus.