Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What do you do?

Big H

Medina
When a trailcamera won't work? I have a WGI that did great for 2 years and now decided not to work anymore? Does anyone here work on them? Do other brands have these issues? My dad has a WGI that worked for a year and quit also. Is it worth the extra money to buy a better camera? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a camera that will last and take decent pics so I can see what is out there.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nothing scientific here, just opinion. I really think the sub $200 cams are designed to be thrown away in a year or three. I haven't stepped up to the table to drop big coin on a camera yet but hear guys talk of 2-3-4x the life out of the $500-800 cameras. I can't justify it myself. I have decided to buy as many as I can with a 2yr warranty and on sale. There isn't a brand out there I haven't heard complaints about.

If money was no object I would be dropping coin on Reconyx or Buckeye Cams.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, I had a Reconyx ( HC500 ) that was sent back twice, before I sold it, so there isn't any guarantees with any of 'em. I guess sticking with some of the mid cheaper ones will hurt less when they crap out. As long as I've been into trail cams, every year has seen me send 'em back. That's just crazy. Plus, with having a $500 & on up cam strapped to a tree only brings ulcers from worrying whether they'll still be there when you go to check 'em...lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Even the Buckeye Cams I ran had their issues, so no brand is immune from trouble. Have you looked to see if you can update the fireware Ron?

I think like Outdoorsfellar thinks. I buy cameras that are around the $100 mark. Some have been bad, some good and some great. Best thing is I don't worry about them day and night. I just bungee them to a tree and hope for the best. I'm sure one or two will be stolen over time, but at least I won't be out a lot.

Big H

Medina
I think like Outdoorsfellar thinks. I buy cameras that are around the $100 mark. Some have been bad, some good and some great. Best thing is I don't worry about them day and night. I just bungee them to a tree and hope for the best. I'm sure one or two will be stolen over time, but at least I won't be out a lot.

That is what I do LOL. Apparently the internal memory on this camera is 35 pics. It is not tranferrring the pics to the SD card, I just looked at pics using the internal memory.

Big H

Medina
May still need to be formatted. Could be a bad card or possibly to many GB. I think my X6C use 2GB maximum card.

That is what I am using, and I used the same card in a different camera and it worked fine.

Jess, I went to that site, but I don't have Windows 98.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It should still work. You are probably running a newer Windows that will handle it. Windows 98 is just the baseline suggestions. Download that file, open the folder, then drag the files in to the card. I would format the card first to FAT32.

http://www.wikihow.com/Format-an-SD-Card

I can walk you through transferring the files to the SD card if need be.

Big H

Medina
It should still work. You are probably running a newer Windows that will handle it. Windows 98 is just the baseline suggestions. Download that file, open the folder, then drag the files in to the card. I would format the card first to FAT32.

http://www.wikihow.com/Format-an-SD-Card

I can walk you through transferring the files to the SD card if need be.

Thanks for the help guys, but I cannot get the file to download on my computer?

buckstar25

T-county
What is the camera doing? Does it turn on at all? Not taking pictures? Our D8's have issues with power supply short that drains the batteries in a day. Our D4 had issues but all we did was the manual reset.

Big H

Medina
What is the camera doing? Does it turn on at all? Not taking pictures? Our D8's have issues with power supply short that drains the batteries in a day. Our D4 had issues but all we did was the manual reset.

Well, I set it up in the house and it took 40 pics tonight, all of them on the SD card? WTF?

buckstar25

T-county
Man, it sounds just like the problem we had. Supposedly they switched camera suppliers, I read that the only way to cure the power drainage issue was to run a 6 volt pack.

Nothing worse than fighting with a cam. Just a suggestion, have you called wildgame? Their customer device has always been good to us an new cams were at our door within a few days.