Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

what the f is wronge with people

yotehunter

spencerville oh
This morning I took advantage of the beautiful morning and grabbed the rifle and went after bushy tails and did some scouting. I'm in a small woodlot and from the woods to the north of the patch I'm in I hear a shotgun, no big deal right. But the problem I have is the property the other person was hunting on, the landowner was layed to rest today after a 1.5 yr bout with cancer. People like that guy that was hunting on my niehbors property on the day he is buried is the person that makes it bad for the rest of us ethical and respectable hunters out there. These are the people that ruin our hunting. And every year you here of more and more guys losing hunting ground and then bitch cause they wonder why they lost it. Its non respectable people like this guy that ruins it for everybody. Sorry for the rant but it bothered me every time I heard that shotgun blast this morning

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Couldn't agree more. I feel very fortunate to have the properties I do have. Not the best ones around but two are pretty respectable. Seems you find 5-10acres you are sharing with everyone or you have a good sized tract with another hunter or two but have to deal with trespassers galore. I would like to buy more land but my pockets aren't deep enough to buy what I feel could be a "good" hunting property.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Yea I here ya, I'm very fortunate Too have the properties I do have to hunt. But like you said you share it with every body from Allen co it feels like sometimes. I checked a woods today that I've hunted all my life and found 4 other stands other than mine needless to say it was dishearting. I try and make a trip or two down to Jackson every year with some buddies on a mead lease, and it makes me wish I lived down there just to be able to hunt without another person holding your hand.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Want to hear a good one? I have a property with sole permission. Two jackholes hunt it anyway. Had screw in steps and el cheapo hang on stands hung. The next trespasser moves in and hangs a buddy stand on the same tree as one of the hang on stands. We are talking about 4 acres! Maybe I should add 4 CLEARLY marked acres. Sad thing is there was zero cover in this tree to start with.

I used to think this was a spot with potential. Now I rarely hunt it. I will turn it into my squirrel hunting spot or place to take my son. Lord knows these guys don't think about the wind or quick access stand locations. Most of their stands are on the west edges of the woods. Most of our winds are out of the west.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I would say he was being dissrespectful, if he knew about the land owner. Maybe he didn't.

Adam and I hunt a property that is owned by an older guy but his daughter is the one who gives permission. If he were to die, how would we know? Its not like she would call us, and we don't exactly talk to her on a regular basis. Our local paper is a 4 page rag, so any obituary would have to be in a larger paper for us to see it. So if he were to pass, we wouldn't even know it.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Not saying you are wrong yote, but it seems you may be jumping to conclusions. I just want to throw a scenario out there to think about.

Could it of possibly been someone that was also out enjoying the same beautiful morning but doing it while remembering previous years with a old friend or uncle or grandpa that was getting buried that day.

It may very well have been someone that just didn't care and was hunting just because, but I am just curious if there is possibility of it being a different scenario.

Diablo54

Outside
Maybe it was the landowners family member. Maybe the landowner enjoyed the outdoors and he went on a hunt this morning in honor of him.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
You guys maybe right but this man was well known in my area and he just doesn't give permission out to anybody. He has raised black Angus cattle ever since I can remember and well liked in the community. As far as family hunting nobody did. I talked to the son in law this morning and he talked to the man and said he new the land owner had passed and just thought it wouldn't hurt anything since he figured everybody would be at the funeral home. That's the idiots I have too deal with in my neck of the woods. Needless to say he won't be back. But you guys are right I was to quick to judge.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Want to hear a good one? I have a property with sole permission. Two jackholes hunt it anyway. Had screw in steps and el cheapo hang on stands hung. The next trespasser moves in and hangs a buddy stand on the same tree as one of the hang on stands. We are talking about 4 acres! Maybe I should add 4 CLEARLY marked acres. Sad thing is there was zero cover in this tree to start with.

I used to think this was a spot with potential. Now I rarely hunt it. I will turn it into my squirrel hunting spot or place to take my son. Lord knows these guys don't think about the wind or quick access stand locations. Most of their stands are on the west edges of the woods. Most of our winds are out of the west.
Yea I know what you mean Phil its unbelievable what you see in our flat country and limited places too hunt. Nothing surprises me these days it don't matter if your parked and in your stand at 4:30 the next guy will park right behind you and come trapsing through at 8:00 and not think nothing about it

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have secured this property for myself and my foreman this year with an extra line on the permission slips to allow "Spouses or children". Not sure it will matter though. I also added a line stating we had the authority to call the law on land owner's behalf for trespassers. Hopefully this helps us and we will be adding NO Hunting signs this year per his request.

I wish you were wrong and the guy didn't realize there was a funeral taking place. With him knowing it was taking place puts him at the front of the line for inconsiderate a-holes.