Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just looking for some feedback

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
They have started the gas drilling process on the private property that we have hunted for the past 20yrs.... not real thrilled, but cant do a damn thing about it. Im sure others have ran into this. How bad does it affect hunting? I have nothing but a negative outlook and hoping someone can change that by sharing some of their situations with me. Our property has produced some really nice bucks over the years and Im hoping that continues. Thanks all....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
They get used too it and change their patterns too miss the action.... Change yours too meet theirs and good luck with your season....:smiley_coolpeace:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Deer typically don't care about big loud things. Combines, dozers, earth movers etc. they'll skirt the rig but they'll be around.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Might blow them out. Might not affect them much. Hard saying. I will tell you we cleared the perimeter of a pond and dug out the pond some on one property. While the guys were running chainsaws and another 2 were pulling a dozer and excavator into the area a nice 125ish buck slid thru. The guys said he had to have been sitting tight and decided he had seen enough when they finally saw him. Each morning we were working on this project you could see fresh tracks in the freshly turned dirt. It didn't seem to affect movement too much.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I work on those big drilling rigs.
I can say from my experience that the deer do get use to it like cars and trains going by. Sure an unusual bang will get their attention but for the most part, they get use to in a matter of a week or two. Many a nights I have been sitting at the "smoking table" on the edge of the pad before dark and watched bucks, does and fawn feed in the nearby fields not 30-60 yards out. Just on my last hitch I walked out my front door at 5 AM and startled a decent 8 point not 20 yards from my door, scaring us both. lol
I will see doe's bedded down 30-40 yards from a actively drilling rig TOO.
We often comment when watching the deer so close to a drilling rig that we would never get that close if we were in the woods hunting.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
In fact, sometimes it drives me nuts...
The turkey are a little jumpier though and will keep a further distance.

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
I appreciate the feedback from you all. Time will tell that's for sure. I posted a camera about 200yds from the rig....just to see whats moving in and around that area. I hope my next card pull shows some potential. Thanks again

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I work in the patch as well and you'll be alright. If they do the reclamation right, you'll have a nice new food plot to hunt when they are done...

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Could actually be a good thing....get them acclimated to human scent and movement, might make it easier for you to move around