Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Had a scare Yesterday

teej89

NE PA
Got a text from my mum saying we're taking your dad to the ER, he should have listened to you. That's all she had to say I immediately knew what happened because I knew he was hanging stands last night. Apparently he was hanging his stand and the strap broke on the ladder piece he was on and he fell 15-18ft. He hobbled back to the car, and my mum saw him and he got cut up/beat up pretty bad on the way down and his wrist was the size of a grapefruit. Fortunately everything is okay, and he's fine, just some really bad contusions and nothing was wrong with his wrist.

The thing is I talked to him last week and TOLD him to get a belt to wear while hanging his stands, he always wears a harness in the tree but nothing when he hangs the stands. Sooo... I called him this morning...

"Dad, you alright?"
"Yeah I'm fine"
"Oh how the tides have changed...Well I hate to say it pops but....... I told you so, shoulda listened to me"
"Oh have they changed.... did she tell you I still got the stand up"
"You're in an idiot dad, you're lucky"

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am happy he is fine!

You can lead a horse to water, you cant make him drink

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I got a cheap harness I got with a hang on stand a couple years ago. It's yours if ya want it just get me your address.

I wont be hanging any till next year, and im going to nut up and buy one.

Thank you for the offer!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Glad he was ok. I'm hoping I never go through the same ordeal. I hang a lot of stands on my own and always try to be careful, but you just never know.

teej89

NE PA
Thanks guys I appreciate it! And what ticks me off the most is I had my new muddy harness sent there on accident and I told him last week to use it when he was hanging stands. Pure ignorance on his part.

Everyone be safe out there! Couldn't imagine not having him out there hunting with me.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
He's lucky. Glad he's OK
Stay on him. Old guys can be stubborn...:smiley_arrogant:
I should know...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad he's OK. I use ladder stands only anymore. This year I rigged up a block and tackle to raise the ladder stand by myself. Then I have a good folding ladder to attach the stand straps. First time up the folding ladder I strap it down.
I've fell once putting up a ladder stand but only 8 ft. and on top of a bush to break the fall. Never can be too safe.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Glad he's okay, if anyone needs a basic harness let me know I have like 2 or 3 of them and I'll pay shipping.... Hate too hear this kind of stuff!!!!

Ricer2231

Glad he's okay, if anyone needs a basic harness let me know I have like 2 or 3 of them and I'll pay shipping.... Hate too hear this kind of stuff!!!!

I'm with ya TOO bud. Paying the shipping to get one to somebody who can use it is minimal. I got a basic harness TOO, nothing fancy but will keep ya from hitting the ground.