Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pistol grip style stock for coyotes?

I see them getting used a lot for turkey hunting and they look/feel like they'd be handy to use. I'm considering this style of stock on my next semi-auto shotgun.

Does anyone use a pistol grip style stock for hunting coyotes?
What are the pros and cons, for you?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

FredT

SE Ohio
Just in my experience the pistol grip feels good but I feel it is a bit slower to get into action than a standard stock. Laying flat on the ground can be a bit problematic because the p grip sticks up (or down lifting the gun up) and there is nothing you can do about that.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I use one on my turkey gun which doubles as my front gun for coyotes. I find it makes no difference because I suck at calling them in. haha

I definitely like the feel much better than I do a standard stock. Just better for close quarters combat in my opinion. If I need to get on a yote close I have very good control over the gun.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
One of those things that it all depends on you. I like a PG but a standard stock is faster for me. Yotes usually don't equal fast shots unless pushing. For pushing I would like a standard stock.

Beentown said:
One of those things that it all depends on you.

Archertl said:
Its harder to swing a shotgun it a full pg
Well, here's a couple of replies that concern me too. I like the ergonomics of a pistol grip on an AR, but a shotgun is a different animal.

I appreciate all the replies, gentlemen, but I think I'm going to go with a standard stock. Another decision was an all black shotgun with a pistol grip or a camo shotgun with a standard stock. The camo versions of this shotgun with the pistol grip stock is another $100...NOT happening.

The shotgun I'm looking at is a Mossberg 930 Waterfowl with a 24" barrel, for $573 @ Buds Gun Shop. The all black version with a pistol grip stock was the same price, but the camo version was $670. :smiley_blackeye: I tried to find one in several local gun shops, but everyone was charging $630 to $650, plus tax. Buds offers free shipping and the transfer is only $25.

Bowhunter57

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've had a pistol grip on my Rem 1100 for 15 yrs. Use it for deer, turkeys and coyotes when I have a chance.
I'll never go back to a straight stock. IMHO

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Were those collapsible stocks with the PG? Just curious. If so this is crazy extra money.

hickslawns said:
Were those collapsible stocks with the PG? Just curious. If so this is crazy extra money.
hickslawns,
All of the stocks, that I've been interested in owning, are non-collapsible.
This one is the Mossberg 930 with a 3" chamber, has the p/g and full camo, at $661 (cash price) or $680 retail.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...id/72921/Mossberg+930TK+12g+3"+24"XXF+FOS+MOB

This is the same model, but in all black finish and the p/g stock, for $563 (cash price) or $579 retail.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ts_id/411540237/MOS+930+TKY+12+3+24+SYN+PG+BL

This is the one that I'll be ordering. The same 24" barrel on all models, but this has a camo finish and a standard stock, for $573 (cash price) or $590 retail.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...id/72920/Mossberg+930TK+12g+3"+24"XXF+FOS+MOB

Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 said:
This is the one that I'll be ordering. The same 24" barrel on all models, but this has a camo finish and a standard stock, for $573 (cash price) or $590 retail.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...id/72920/Mossberg+930TK+12g+3"+24"XXF+FOS+MOB
Well, I did it. I made the purchase and this shotgun is on its' way to Ohio. It should be here by the end of the week. :smiley_bril: I can't wait to get it out on the range and pattern it with some good coyote ammo.

Bowhunter57