Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking to lose some twang

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Okay guys I am looking for suggestions. I bought a Hoyt Spyder Turbo 30. Liking the bow. No complaints there. Just can't lose a twang. I have a Tight Spot Quiver attached, Limb Driver Pro Vee rest, Axcel Armortech sight, and an older Hoyt Fuse stabilizer.

Here is what I have done. Switched from 5575's to Radial X-Weave to ST's. Spine is stiffer but did not actually weigh them to see if they were heavier arrows. Seemed to help a bit but did not eliminate the twang.

I have shot with quiver on and off. No difference.

I have checked all nuts, bolts, screws, etc.

I double checked the sight pins to ensure they were indeed all tight.

I have banged on it in different places with my hang and can't seem to get it to replicate the noise.

What the heck could it be and what can I try?

The only thing I can think is the Limb Driver Pro Vee string is my twang? When the limbs expand and yank the cord I am thinking this "could" be my noise? Is it even plausible? Has anyone else had this issue? Or could I be overlooking something else?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Pluck the string continuously until you find the source. You don't need to pull the string much, just pluck it. Use your ears to find where it's coming from. It isn't likely to be the string from your limbdriver, IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do you have a string saver?

Helped out my Switchback a lot. Purchased though SCO

I do not. The split limbs have Limbsavers between the limbs from the factory. I am trying to avoid adding anything else but if I need to then I need to. Just not convinced I need them until I find the source.

Brock- Good suggestion. i will try this. thanks

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe I need to shoot the "old" Hoyt? Then I can swap them out and shoot the new one. Might realize it is NOT that loud. I dunno. I still believe there is some noise going on though.

Ricer2231

I had a twang in my Hoyt I had a hell of a time finding but did find it. It was the fibers in my Armortech sight I had replaced had shifted around and were hitting the light in my sight. I know you're gonna say you didn't change the fibers like I did but I had a buddy of mine have his do the same thing and never touched the fibers they just shifted around and settled down on his light TOO. May not be it but its worth a look. I thought I wasn't getting my sight pins completely tightened down but after checking and rechecking and tightening the hell out of the sight everywhere that's when I found it. Tap the clear housing in your sight and see if ya get the noise. Hope this helps.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Just completely remove the sight and anything else that is removable if your noise is gone after you remove the stuff, then one of your components is the problem. Put one back on at a time until you find the problem.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pluck the string continuously until you find the source. You don't need to pull the string much, just pluck it. Use your ears to find where it's coming from. It isn't likely to be the string from your limbdriver, IMO.

Winner winner chicken dinner! Thanks for a great suggestion Brock.

Here is what I have found. You were right Huck. It is actually the string stopper which is making the noise. I can pluck the string and hear it. Had my son pluck the string while I had my hand wrapped around the end and it got quiet immediately.

Next question: Where exactly should this be? Do you want your string to touch it at rest? Should there be a slight gap? I have always noticed them touching slightly. Doesn't mean that is the way it is supposed to be I guess, just how mine have been. Is this correct? Should I have slight pressure on the string at rest?

If it is set properly, do you have any suggestions on making it more quiet? Is there something which can be done to make it more rigid or more spongy? Any adjustments on it other than closer to or farther away from string?

For what it is worth, I was stacking them at 20yds like a pro today. Had to start shooting at different parts of the target for fear of breaking arrows. Went to 30yds and fell apart. Not sure what happened. Maybe stopping to help the boys stack firewood had something to do with it. lol Sort of like shooting hoops after lifting weights. You can't make a basket to save your life.

Last edited:

Ricer2231

Winner winner chicken dinner! Thanks for a great suggestion Brock.

Here is what I have found. You were right Huck. It is actually the string stopper which is making the noise. I can pluck the string and hear it. Had my son pluck the string while I had my hand wrapped around the end and it got quiet immediately.

Next question: Where exactly should this be? Do you want your string to touch it at rest? Should there be a slight gap? I have always noticed them touching slightly. Doesn't mean that is the way it is supposed to be I guess, just how mine have been. Is this correct? Should I have slight pressure on the string at rest?

If it is set properly, do you have any suggestions on making it more quiet? Is there something which can be done to make it more rigid or more spongy? Any adjustments on it other than closer to or farther away from string?

For what it is worth, I was stacking them at 20yds like a pro today. Had to start shooting at different parts of the target for fear of breaking arrows. Went to 30yds and fell apart. Not sure what happened. Maybe stopping to help the boys stack firewood had something to do with it. lol Sort of like shooting hoops after lifting weights. You can't make a basket to save your life.

I have my string between an 1/8" and a 1/16" from touching when at rest. I'm pretty sure that's where Milo told me to adjust it TOO.
They do sell a couple different replacement rubbers for them that are softer and harder depending on what you want.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Credit card width between the string and stopper.

30 yards...what do you mean by fall apart? 4inch group? 8 inch group?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Ricer and Beentown. That is what I needed to know.

RGecko- new bow. Not split or anything. Just making contact, thus the noise.

30 yards...what do you mean by fall apart? 4inch group? 8 inch group?

I believe it was simply time to set it down. I shot a bunch at 20 trying to get the noise to go away. Then I went and swung a sledge hammer and stacked some firewood. Came back and tried to shoot at 30yrds. Let me go shoot 20-30-40yds while fresh and see if there is still an issue. I don't think there will be tonight.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Ricer and Beentown. That is what I needed to know.

RGecko- new bow. Not split or anything. Just making contact, thus the noise.

I believe it was simply time to set it down. I shot a bunch at 20 trying to get the noise to go away. Then I went and swung a sledge hammer and stacked some firewood. Came back and tried to shoot at 30yrds. Let me go shoot 20-30-40yds while fresh and see if there is still an issue. I don't think there will be tonight.

It should make contact, when you shoot the bow. It shouldn't be making any noise unless the string-stop is loose or defective. I haven't held a Spyder lately but most string-stops are adjustable. Make sure it's good and tight. If it still makes noise, trying contacting Hoyt directly. I generally set my stops with a very slight gap between the stop and the string... usually less than credit card thickness. Every bow is a little different, though. Sometimes you have to play around with things like that to see what works best. Hope you get it figured out my man.