Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

having trouble

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm having trouble tuning my broad heads. To give you a run down on my set up I'm shoot in a Bear truth series two at 62 lbs 29 1/2 draw with a hell razor 100 gr on a epic 400. I paper tuned it with field points and everything seems to be square. I'm trying to get away from the rage and wanting too go back to a fixed blade as I used too. I used to shoot thunderheads and I always got it tuned but for some reason I'm having a hell of a time. I'm good too 20 but at thirty they are tailing and at 40 its terrible. Any suggestions?:smiley_chinrub:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Are you shooting Blazers or some other lil vane? Are the arrows scattering at longer range or drifting to one side consistently?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm having trouble tuning my broad heads. To give you a run down on my set up I'm shoot in a Bear truth series two at 62 lbs 29 1/2 draw with a hell razor 100 gr on a epic 400. I paper tuned it with field points and everything seems to be square. I'm trying to get away from the rage and wanting too go back to a fixed blade as I used too. I used to shoot thunderheads and I always got it tuned but for some reason I'm having a hell of a time. I'm good too 20 but at thirty they are tailing and at 40 its terrible. Any suggestions?:smiley_chinrub:

Need more info. Get us a pixture if the paper tear please. How long are your arrows?

mightymet

I used the hellrazor on the axis arrows with blazers with no problems. They shot great out to 60 yards. I'm not sure how your tuning them but what I did was put the tip on the callous of my left hand and then rested the shaft just below the vanes an blew on the vains. If it was smooth as it spun its good. If it vibrates then I had to tighten it a bit more. This seemed to work great.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
sorry what i was getting at is that you are underspined. it probably wont shoot real well for you with fixed heads. you need to be in the 340 spine range.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
sorry what i was getting at is that you are underspined. it probably wont shoot real well for you with fixed heads. you need to be in the 340 spine range.

K I will try that Milo. And that maybe the problem cause this is the first time I've shot the epics. I got a deal a few years
ago on them and decided that now would be a good time too break them out since I'm going to fixed blades again. Thanks

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
yotehunter- I am putting some arrows together right now. If you want to shoot mine prior to dropping more coin you are more than welcome. Bought them last year and finally getting the courage to attempt fletching them. Everyone says it is easy but I have never done it. Crazy. I am not afraid to tackle projects but I am worried about screwing these up. lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Milo is correct as usual. For comparison, I am a 30" draw shooting 68 pounds and shoot at 300 spine. I shot 340's for a long time before I decided to build a heavier arrow. Being underspined definitely effects broadhead flight as you are seeing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not a problem. I am going to shoot tonight with my lighter arrows then shoot the new ones tomorrow. Hoping it makes my "twang" disappear otherwise I might need some string leeches or something. I have a feeling the heavier arrows are going to help me.