Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

E-call vs. Hand call success?

I'm considering soaking some money into an e-caller. However, I'm wondering if the success rate of calling coyotes in, would go up or not. I use a motion decoy, set it about 20 yards away from my calling position, but I'm wondering if the coyotes are not connecting the motion with the sound and are leaving without ever being seen. It would be best if the sound was coming from the same location as the decoy.

Of those of you that have switched from hand calls to e-calls, would you say that your calling success has improved?
Whether you got the coyote or not, but called more in to your position.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

I'm inclined to agree with you. Just the same, I'm tempted to invest in a less expensive model of FoxPro and see how it goes.

It's probably best to mix up the calling techniques, so as to keep the coyotes guessing. Plus, different situations call for different calls. So, it pays to stay versatile. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Daniel- The e-callers are versatile. Crow calling? Coyote or fox calling? Sometimes it is fun to watch a hawk or owl sweep in to check out the sounds. Lots of good choices out there and they keep you from hyperventilating. Also nice to put them out away from you to minimize any movements the coyote will see. What I find interesting is watching my cameras. Several times I have setup my Foxpro and got nothing. Check the cameras close by later and see something did indeed move in later in the evening. Often times guys sit for 20-30min and if they have no response they move to the next set. What I find interesting is tracks in the snow the next day or pictures on camera I check later showing the coyotes actually DID respond. They just didn't respond immediately. Makes me wonder if I didn't unnecessarily call a coyote into the area who might have been content a mile away or so?

I have the Spitfire, but only use it to hunt daytime raccoons. This is a great entry level FoxPro call. If you go to the FoxPro web site you may pick up a used one for around the $100 mark. Don't be concerned with the sounds on the unit. You can easily find sounds on the internet that you can download to the mini SD card. These inexpensive FoxPro calls work like a charm. And the remote is a big plus.
IMG_0627.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I broke down and purchased a FoxPro Wildfire. Can't wait to get out there and give it a work out. I was foolin' around with hit here in the house and my dog was sitting in front of the speaker with her head cocked to one side, trying to figure out those sounds.

I hope the coyotes are that mesmerized by it...I'll kill 'em all. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57