Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best rangefinder for the buck

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'm wanting to purchase a decent range finder this year. I don't wanna spend any more than $100 but we'll see. So what's the best range finder for a budget price??

Ps, flutie you might have to rig me up a strap if I get one.

Gordo

Athens County
I ahould have showed u mine. It was sitting om the table next to my bow.

Ill have to check brand. I know it was under a bill and im very pleased with it. Going on 5 years and hasnt missed a beat

teej89

NE PA
Don't get one that does the angle compensation. It is helpful but not worth it for hunting deer, maybe west it'd help but not here. When you range stuff range the trees at eye level not the base and you'll get the true range. Can't remember what I have but wanted to put in my $0.02 bout the angle compensation.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have the Bushnell yardage pro 450

I have had it 3 years and still have the original battery in it. I am happy with it so far.

My Bushnell gave NO NOTICE about the battery going down. Once second it was working and then it was not. Just a warning as it had an off size battery in it and took a few days to find one.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Tay, there is one on Craigslist right now in Logan Ohio. Used for 100.00! 740-497-1867. Good Luck! I'd try him for 80.00 first.

There is also a Leica in Athens for 110.00 (sold for 400 new) 740-590-2683

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Good deal on the Leica.

I have the Bushnell Yardage Pro and it has never let me down. Needs a pretty reflective surface for distances over 300 yards. Same 9 volt battery for 7 years now.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Thanks for the heads up on the Craigslist ads man. That's usually my go to place when I'm looking to buy stuff haha. I'm gonna call about the Leica.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a Bushnell Chuck Adams edition and quite honestly, don't care for it. I bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro 450 in 2005 and it still works like a charm. I've only put 2 batteries in it TOO. I may sell my CA edition and pocket the coin if it still keeps acting up.

It's not the cheapest but the clarity through it is what sold me on the Nikon Archer's Choice range finder. I usually grab it before my binoculars any more as it gives just enough magnification and clarity needed, especially if a deer is headed my way.

Ricer2231

I have a Bushnell Chuck Adams edition and quite honestly, don't care for it. I bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro 450 in 2005 and it still works like a charm. I've only put 2 batteries in it TOO. I may sell my CA edition and pocket the coin if it still keeps acting up.

I love mine. What is yours doing? I was just wondering so I can keep an eye on mine.

00buck

Don't get one that does the angle compensation. It is helpful but not worth it for hunting deer, maybe west it'd help but not here. When you range stuff range the trees at eye level not the base and you'll get the true range. Can't remember what I have but wanted to put in my $0.02 bout the angle compensation.

i agree not needed here but again thats my 2 cents i have a nikon and cant remember what model but it does what it is suppose to

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I had a Bushnell yardage sport 450 that did just fine, but I have the Chuck Adams Edition now. It works well, and I like the angular compensation for this holler I hunt behind the house. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't work at all with the slightest bit of fog.

Jake, why don't you just paint yardage circles around all your treestands. That would work just as well, then you wouldn't have to remember what the yardage was to the crooked elm! rotflmao

Jake, why don't you just paint yardage circles around all your treestands. That would work just as well, then you wouldn't have to remember what the yardage was to the crooked elm! rotflmao

LOL we used to take colored surveyors ribbon and cut to about 2-3 inches long and attached them to trees with thumbtacks, different color for 10-20-30 & 40. Hey, it worked!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I love my leica but I got a great price on it at an auction. My dad and fil both have low to mid end Bushnell rangefinders and once you get past 300yds is where you can tell the difference. They need a much larger object to range where I can get groundhogs out to 450+ without a problem.