Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

444 Marlin for Coyotes?

There are areas that I hunt coyotes, that are wooded and my longest shot is going to be 90ish yards. I would prefer to have plenty of power to stop any chance of a "runner", instead of the basic varmint calibers. Plus, the lever-action will allow for quick follow-up shots, in the event of more than one coyote. The coyotes in this area are a menace to the deer population. So, I'm considering the purchase of a Marlin 444 or 45/70.

Does anyone hunt coyotes with a large bore lever-action rifle?
I'm open to suggestions for either caliber.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
How about a 35 Rem for both yotes and maybe bigger game.... I have one and shoot ground hogs with them with good luck.... But it was my grandfathers deer rifle back in the day......

OK
I have shot 1 coyote with my Marlin 45/70 while deer hunting

It was a double shoulder hit .....dead in it's tracks
But it trashed the hide

IMO the 45/70 is better
As there is better ( more ) choices of ammo
And it is easy to reload

But if you want a coyote killer
IMO a AR 15 in 223 is hard to beat

I have shot 10-12 with a 60 GR poly tipped bullet
Never needed a 2 shot

But I had 19 or 20 more rounds for other coyotes if more was around

John

Johnch said:
OK
I have shot 1 coyote with my Marlin 45/70 while deer hunting. It was a double shoulder hit .....dead in it's tracks
But it trashed the hide.

I could care less about the hides. I want them off of the planet, in the area that I'm attempting to hunt deer.

Johnch said:
But if you want a coyote killer
IMO a AR 15 in 223 is hard to beat

I had a Rock River Arms A4 and wasn't impressed with its' "killing power". I was getting about 50% recovery of the coyotes that I shot. I don't want any runners. My scoped .25-06 works great for when I'm out in the open and hunting along fence rows. However, I'm shopping for a rifle that will be used inside the wooded areas, since the shots are going to be less than 100 yards...AND still get the DRT performance to stop the runners.

I'm leaning toward the 444 Marlin, for the flatter trajectory, a little less recoil and I could use the same bullets that I use in my Super Redhawk.

Bowhunter57

FredT

SE Ohio
Have you shot a .444 marlin? The factory load is quite stout. Marlin no longer makes the rifle. If you really want one and can find a nice Marlin, I say go for it. Brass is always available at Cabela's and they are easy to hand load for. The 240 grain XTP make a good do anything load and you don't have to load them hot to make them work. Mine just shoots cast bullets, lots and lots of cast bullets.

FredT said:
Have you shot a .444 marlin?
Nope, but I've shot a 45/70 and a few others in that recoil range.

FredT said:
Marlin no longer makes the rifle. If you really want one and can find a nice Marlin, I say go for it.
Well, after visiting a few gun shops, I'm finding this out. Marlin lever-action rifles, NEW ones and in 444 Marlin or 45/70, are nearly impossible to find. Plus, used prices for these same rifles are only about $75 to $100 less than new.

After a little bit of shopping, I can see that I'm going to have to find another weapon choice. Hmmm...:smiley_chinrub: What next?

Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nope, but I've shot a 45/70 and a few others in that recoil range.

Well, after visiting a few gun shops, I'm finding this out. Marlin lever-action rifles, NEW ones and in 444 Marlin or 45/70, are nearly impossible to find. Plus, used prices for these same rifles are only about $75 to $100 less than new.

After a little bit of shopping, I can see that I'm going to have to find another weapon choice. Hmmm...:smiley_chinrub: What next?

Bowhunter57

Hit them with the good old flat nosed 30-30. Should drop their butt where they stand.

Jackalope said:
Hit them with the good old flat nosed 30-30. Should drop their butt where they stand.
I'd given that some thought, as I know a guy that used to shoot a 30-30 and used a 110gr...he called it a Plinker bullet (round-nosed soft point), for varmints and had good success with it. He also used that same bullet in a .308 and got the same results.
http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-110-gr-RN/

I spent some time with an experienced (more kills than I have) coyote hunter and he was telling me to forget the rifle stuff for close shots and to use a shotgun with my choice of buckshot. Easier to use, less aiming issues and works great in close. It makes sense to me. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Shotgun is the easy answer and the one I would opt for. It is also more versatile. Got one hanging up 80 yards out? Use a slug.