Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fall Planting-I'm a little late

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes, I'm a little late in the food plot planting department but I'm at the mercy of the landowner. It's his equipment, his land, and I'm not at liberty to run the equipment. My luck I'd break something. Lol

Anyway... he plowed up the two usual spots for me to plant on Tuesday. I'm hoping to plant tomorrow or Saturday. I'm not against using pre-packaged stuff like Evolve or something. Any recommendations for early September planting? Am I too late in the game?

Better late than never that's for sure!! Forage oats and/or brassicas is what I'd recommend and you should have enough time for them to get up decent. Oats will give you something early fall and the brassicas or turnips will give you something later. If they don't mature to make bulbs though they won't be much of an attractant late winter. Could also try winter wheat or some types of rye grass too.

Buckmaster

Portage
Being a little late to the date...I'd go with some cereal grains such as winter rye, oats, etc. Mix in a little white clover and you'll be good next Spring.
The brassicas will grow now but not too maturity before the frosts take over. They usually need 80-100 days.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea I probably wouldn't mess with the brassicas either. Like Ben said, it's just a little too late. You wouldn't gain much by planting brassicas at this point. Go with a 50/50 mix of winter rye (grain) and some type of hearty oats, like Jerry, or Canadian, or Buck Forage Oats. IMO you'll get the most bang for your buck this way. Typical cereal grain planting is ~100 pounds per acre... so if you mix the two, go 50-75 pounds of each per acre.