Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Firewood/wood heat thread

twireman

Kingston, OH
I figure enough of us heat with wood on here and thought we could use a thread for it. What type of stove do you use? What saws? What wood do you like to burn? Other tools that help you get it done??

* For me my primary saw is a Stihl 028 wood boss w/ 18" bar.

* I scored a Hotblass 1557 off Craigslist last year and it's tied into my furnace duct. I also built a "chute" to chuck wood down into the basement.

* I haul all my wood with a 04' Chevy 2500 and 16' trailer

* I cut at my parents and inlaws. Try to stick with oak, hickory, ash and locust and cherry

* i have an older homemade hydraulic splitter I use on occasion. I prefer to use ax/maul for a little workout though.

* Also this year I'm going to put a stainless steel liner in the chimney
Let's here it guys!!

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Yea, that reminds me. About time to get the chimney cleaned out. I always seem to remember when it's chilly enough to need to build a fire.

Buckmaster

Portage
I cut wood just for fun. I haul some to deer camp, burn some in the backyard fire ring, give some to my friends, and sell the rest. I have a geothermal heat system so I don't use the wood.
Having 106 acres of woods readily available always keeps me in the wood.
My main saw is a Stihl 031 with an 18 inch bar. My small saws are an 021, 017, and a 16 foot Sthil pole prunner.
My splitter is a TSC Huskee 36 ton.
My tractors are a Ford 2000 and a Kubota L3400 4x4 with a front end loader.
I made enough money selling firewood the past 3 years to pay for my chainsaw, wood splitter, and Ford tractor.
I mainly cut wood post deer season for some fresh air, exercise, and to help with post season boredom.
The bulk of my wood is hickory mixed with an occasional oak and ash.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We installed an outdoor boiler. Heats the house and shop. Try to stick to hard woods, but it really doesn't matter in this thing. I have a ton of maple right now. I will just burn it early in the year and when spring is closing in with milder temps. I try to keep some good hardwood stocked up for the "cold" months.

I have a 3pt splitter I use sometimes. Most of my splitting is done with a skid steer mounted splitter. The brand is Splitfire. It is pretty nice. I won't lie.

Saws? Oh boy. Bought a Stihl MS361 and it has become my go to saw. Can't part with the 029 Farmboss I bought 17yrs ago. Still gets the job done. Also run a Husqvarna 155 (maybe it is just 55 can't remember) for small stuff. Nice little in between size for anything 6-8" or smaller. I also have a Stihl with a 14" bar. I believe it is a 170. Have the Stihl 16' pole pruner as well but it is more for jobs, or cleaning up shooting lanes.

I love cutting some firewood. I split some over the weekend.

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
The past several years I've used just a Stihl saw and an x7 and x27 axe from Friskars. '00 Silverado and some bungee cord. This year my old man broke down and bought a Huskee 22ton splitter.

I'm concerned because some people have had issues with the Briggs & Straton it comes with. Difficult start in even mild cold. Running issues, etc. Well see how it goes but I might upgrade him to the Huskee with a Honda engine.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I try and stick to hard woods, we recently had a big storm and it blew a couple huge maple trees down in our woods so I've been cutting them up when I have time. I have a Husqvarna 455 rancher that has done ok for the 5 years I've had it. I use my uncles homemade wood splitter sometimes but mostly split with a maul for the workout. I have a decent supply of wood stocked up for when we build our dream log home in the woods around 2015! I'm also currently building a man shed on our land that overlooks my food plot and it will have a small wood stove that a buddy gave me, I think it's close to 75 years old. Unfortunately I don't know if the hunting will be any good there this year since we are doing all that work, only on the weekends though.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The past several years I've used just a Stihl saw and an x7 and x27 axe from Friskars. '00 Silverado and some bungee cord. This year my old man broke down and bought a Huskee 22ton splitter.

I'm concerned because some people have had issues with the Briggs & Straton it comes with. Difficult start in even mild cold. Running issues, etc. Well see how it goes but I might upgrade him to the Huskee with a Honda engine.

If your splitter came from TSC, Lowes, or one of the other places that display them out in the sun. Mine was hard to start and when I took it in for repair, they said the sun eats the diaphram in the carb and you should keep direct sunlight off the motor. It was replaced and mine runs fine now.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
ive been cutting wood the past 2 weeks a load every night mostly cherry and and maple (ill burn the cherry before it gets real cold i dont seem too get alot of heat out of it) then when it gets cold ill mix it with some hickory and some good walnut. i dont have a splitter, but i dont mind swinging a maul its a good work out.

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
If your splitter came from TSC, Lowes, or one of the other places that display them out in the sun. Mine was hard to start and when I took it in for repair, they said the sun eats the diaphram in the carb and you should keep direct sunlight off the motor. It was replaced and mine runs fine now.

Yeah it came from TSC and was outside. I will definitely remember that if he has any problems. We start splitting next week as I took off work.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm jealous of those with wood burners inside! Cutting wood and having a fire place is such a great part of life. I hate that we don't have a wood stove and have contemplated putting one in the back part of the garage. I'm building a work shop in that part of the garage and can see myself with a cup of coffee stoking a fire down there one of these days!

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
I'm jealous of those with wood burners inside! Cutting wood and having a fire place is such a great part of life. I hate that we don't have a wood stove and have contemplated putting one in the back part of the garage. I'm building a work shop in that part of the garage and can see myself with a cup of coffee stoking a fire down there one of these days!

It is definitely nice to stay toasty and I find sitting around a hearth or woodburner very relaxing. Ours is in an almost always dark basement and makes for a peaceful night when I bunk down their and warm start during the season cause that is where I suit up. The glow and the crackle.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is definitely nice to stay toasty and I find sitting around a hearth or woodburner very relaxing. Ours is in an almost always dark basement and makes for a peaceful night when I bunk down their and warm start during the season cause that is where I suit up. The glow and the crackle.

That was poetic bud. You gave me an awesome visual with sound effects and everything. I miss the wood burner at my parents house. We lose some of the joys of burning wood with ours being outside. I miss the pops, cracks, roaring heat you can sit next to when you come in from the extreme cold temps. You get better heat out of the outdoor burners, but it just isn't the same. Definitely lose the romantic appeal of a fire and many of the memories.

I have a Stihl Farm Boss saw with a 20" bar
A Pouland with a 18" bar
A Stihl 023 with a 14" bar

My wood furnace is a old Luxair Wood Coal furnace that dad installed in 1966
I hope to replace it next spring

I do have a propane furnace also
But as of right now , no propane tank

So I will be burning wood to heat the house again

John

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Joe did you have a post last year that have all he differant hardwoods and the BTUs they put out????