Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chevy Silverados

Shoulder Blade

Looking at getting a new rig and these have been catching my eye. I can't afford the lifted ones but a decent 4x4 crew should be fine.

Just wanted to ask real people if they have any experience with the newer year models.

I have an 07 f150 supercrew, but am kinda bored with it and want to recoup as much money as I can from it now.

Anything to look out for? How about realized mpg??

Thanks

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You might shoot 5cent a PM. I believe he has one and pulls a camper with it. He is truck knowledgeable and I know he would steer you straight.

Big Weff

Athens
I also have a 2000 silverado with the 6 liter and definately no complaints on power, reliability, or looks but it is one hell of a gas hog. I get around12 to 13 mpg out of mine but i wouldnt trade it for anything... other than maybe a new duramax

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Its not a chevy and i dont wanna hijack, but I have an 06 tundra double cab 4x4. If you're wanting alot of power or something to do alot of pulling this isn't your truck, but as far as reliability, looks and toughness they're top notch in my opinion. It's got the 4.8l in it. I've never tested it but i can get upper teens as far as fuel mileage if I baby it. Which never happens lol.

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
My 11' 1500, CC, 4x4, 5.3L flex fuel gets 17 with my mix of driving. I can baby it and get 19, got 18.2 on a round trip to Nashville, TN last year.

I was nervous coming out of a 01' Duramax pulling our 9200lb (GVWR, 7500lbs unloaded) camper plus having the new 6spd. No worries, plenty of power and tranny takes care of itself in tow/haul mode. Towing that camper she averages 11mpg on flat land. I'm at almost 50k miles now and besides regular maintenance (body work not included), no issues and I would recommend.

My BIL just picked up a 14' and it is the cats ass. I will wait till 16' or 17' model year before changing though.

Last edited:

Diablo54

Outside
I had a 2001 chevy 1500 5.3 and got about 16mpg out of it. Plenty of power

Have a 2006 2500hd now with the 6.0. Getting ab 13 or 14.

Big weff will back me up when I say a vortec Motor can't be beat for reliability when it comes to big truck gassers.

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
I have a 2000 Silverado with almost 250,000 miles on it. Still love that truck even though it's starting to look it's age.

I have a 2000 also about to hit 200,000 that I call the 'Green Machine'. Sure is showing its age with the rust everywhere. Rocker panels and fenders disappearing. But still runs like a champ!

Last edited:

Big Weff

Athens
I had a 2001 chevy 1500 5.3 and got about 16mpg out of it. Plenty of power

Have a 2006 2500hd now with the 6.0. Getting ab 13 or 14.

Big weff will back me up when I say a vortec Motor can't be beat for reliability when it comes to big truck gassers.

Best gas engine ever made, the bowtie has never let me down yet

twireman

Kingston, OH
I traded down from a cummins to the 6.0l gasser. I couldnt justify the nerd for a diesel and am very happy with the chevy for my truck needs. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378335512.521060.jpg

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
Another 2cents my dad has a 2013 1500 and is happy with everything. Only gripe is two rust spots from rail dust (we live by train tracks) on rear bumper.

Dealership said that some reduction in the quality of the material used may be to blame. They offered to replace anytime but a couple hours of working with a claybar then a good waxing cleaned it up.

Well wait awhile to take them up on their offer.