Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thunderflight's 2013/14 Adventures; OPERATION MAKING UP FOR LOST TIME!!!!!!!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I guess I'll start my own journal and log my adventures here.

At 0500 the obnoxious sound of a trumpet playing reveille from my iPhone broke what was once a sound and somber sleep. With half hearted effort I roll over and reset the alarm in hopes of gaining a few more minutes of restful sleep, but ten minutes later I am once more put through the torture of awakening. This process was repeated four more times and has become the norm as the weeks of hard training are beginning to take a toll making getting out of bed an unpleasant chore. The constant pain from my aching knees, ankles, back, and shoulders constantly reminded me of the lost years of youth and the progression towards physical maturity. Stiff muscles, joints, arthritis, and multiple issues with my back and shoulders are numbed daily with a healthy dose of Celebrex, Tylenol, Volturan gel, Glucosimine, Prayer, and just plain sucking it up. I would like to say that my job requires me to put my self through this daily hell, but truth be told that as my military career begins to wind down I have become the proverbial "desk jockey".

So what drives one to hike countless miles with weights up to 50 pounds on his back? What is the inspiration for a man to do crazy circuit weight lifting routines that leave him drenched in sweat, barely able to lift his arms much less walk? Why would anyone spend their evenings shooting their bow at distances most archers would call crazy? The answer is quite simple for some, yet difficult to fully understand for others who have not experienced the joy of waking up three hours before day light and hiking mile after mile to the top of some lone ridge in the Western United States. God has provide us with many gifts, one of which are his miraculous sunrises. However for a fortunate few this experience is exasperated when the sound of nature coming to life is broken by one thing; the sound of a bull elk bugling.

I'll admit it; I've got it it bad and without a second thought would trade my entire white tail deer season for one week chasing Wapiti. I have only hunted elk twice and have been unsuccessful both times, but regardless it is in my blood and here to stay. My first attempt was in 2009 when I hunted with friends in Idaho. I could have shot a half rack bull and calf, but since I was stationed overseas and couldn't have kept the meat I passed on both. Last year I drew a coveted New Mexico Unit 15 first muzzle loader season which ended in me catching "elk fever" and missing a 320+ bull. Coming home from an unsuccessful hunt is always difficult as I'm sure many of us can understand. However as I've aged I have found that it's more than that to me. The adventure and memories with close friends is just as important and in my opinion are what makes hunting what it is; fun.

The 2013/14 season is going to be a fun one for sure. Most of you already know I'm leaving for Idaho in 12 days, will be hunting Adams and Pike County Illinois in November, most likely getting a few days in Ohio, possibly Maryland too, and of course hunting here in Pennsylvania. Last year was my first full hunting season in five years. After moving back to the states I found getting back into my old routines to be challenging. Between family, work, and school hunting was something that just didn't fit in well. However this year is different and I fully intend to make up for lost time. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences and will do my best to try and allow you to be a part of my adventures.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
My family had planned on coming back to Johnstown this weekend, but the potential for conflict in Syria ruined that. My wife had been in visiting her father in Florida last week and I was supposed to pick her up from the Columbus airport on Friday. My sister volunteered to bring her back and with my daughter visiting friends in Virginia I was hope alone.

Being alone was actually a blessing because it allowed me to spend uninterrupted time going over my gear for my elk hunt. I washed all my clothes, bought batteries, sharpened broad heads, gathered arrows, and did all the meticulous preparation for my trip.

Training wise I think I'm good. This year I've focused on spending more time walking and getting miles under my belt. This morning we hiked/ran a train with some moderate terrain features. I did it with a 35 pound pack and felt pretty darn good doing so. Afterwards I hit the gym and did a light leg and shoulder work out. This evening I was going to hike a 2.6 mile train, but was rained out and ended up walking the dog 1.25 miles with 35 pounds on my back.

Gear wise I'm good. The last thing on my list was a cheap cooler to help bring home elk meat. I'll have three bags on my flight; bow case and two coolers (one stuffed with clothes). Being active duty military and on leave, United allows me three bags at 70 pounds at no charge.

Shooting wise I'm getting better. It's funny because at 1-18 yards I'm good, 25-45 yards I'm good, but 19-25 seems to be a challenge. Don't get me wrong, my groups are more than sufficient to kill and elk or deer but I think I tend to get lazy and not use proper form when shooting.

All said, if I had to leave today I'd say I'm ready to go. I honestly can't wait for this trip to begin!!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great read Chuck! You're as ready as anyone could ever be IMO! Hope these next 12 days fly bye fast and I wish you all the best on your quest to bring home a nice elk. Take plenty of pics so we can relive it with ya!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
1005113_10200511253285171_1734378156_n.jpg

Yo George how many days left? OH sorry, wrong thread! :smiley_chinrub::smiley_crocodile::pickle:lmaolmao