Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Our spring food and deer plot

MQ1-Z7

Ashland Co.
I was out in the plot today and Here are some pics of our food plot i planted this late spring, Not many farmers close to here plant clover anymore and clover is a big part of the diet that they just dont get most places and it will last 5 to 8 years which will then give time for the trees to get good growth on them. The plot has been mowed 4 times this year so far.It is a heavy clover mix with 3 kinds of clover some chicory and rape as well as some rye grass and cow peas. I planted 100 Eastern White Pine seedlings last November and a little over half made it and are doing well , This spring i planted 8-4 foot white pines as a quicker shelter/divider and 8 sawtooth oak, The sawtooth oak will produce bushels of acorns after they are 5 years old and grow 5 to 6 feet per year, For those who dont know what a sawtooth is. I have a few crab apple a, american hawthorn and a couple redbuds in the mix as well.I do have a feeder and mineral block in the far corner of the plot , I planted the trees for more local deer bedding closer to home, They already raise the fawns there every spring so i am just helping them out. The line of trees is also a fairly large creek. I threw out some sunflower seed around the two sides as well.

SAWTOOTHS.jpgWHITE PINES 2.jpgWHITE PINE.jpgFOOD PLOT.jpgCLOVER&PLANT TYPES.jpgCLOVER.jpg

Last edited: