Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dove opener.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Took the GF's nephew out to the dove field with Brock this evening. Everybody limited out in about an hour and a half. Here is Travis holding his and my limit. Boy sure can shoot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378092833.992670.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Joe, we've had a lot of good opening days on those fields, but I think this evening's shoot is gonna be hard to top! I don't recall ever seeing so many doves in an evening's hunt. Glad you boys made it down.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Looking at the pic of Travis, I killed a pretty nice buck in 96 right over his left shoulder!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe, we've had a lot of good opening days on those fields, but I think this evening's shoot is gonna be hard to top! I don't recall ever seeing so many doves in an evening's hunt. Glad you boys made it down.

It's one for the books for sure. The sky was packed every direction you turn with shot and birds falling like rain. Must have had a great spring hatch. Glad we could make it down also and thanks for having us over. Wish we could have stayed longer and talked more. Ill make it back down for some rabbits and pizza and we'll shoot the shit more.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Another one of those things I have never done but always thought would be fun.

Looks like you guys had a good day in the field. Travis is the one at Woodbury wasn't he? He was a heck of a shot at the range and looks like he can shoot some real birds TOO.

Did you outfit him with bullets over both shoulders like you back in the day or was that just for deer season lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Another one of those things I have never done but always thought would be fun.

Looks like you guys had a good day in the field. Travis is the one at Woodbury wasn't he? He was a heck of a shot at the range and looks like he can shoot some real birds TOO.

Did you outfit him with bullets over both shoulders like you back in the day or was that just for deer season lmao

Yeah. Same kid. He was knocking the snot out of them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I also have to say this hunt was the first time I've ever seen someone plug a shotgun with a toothbrush. lmao. That damn Brock.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I also have to say this hunt was the first time I've ever seen someone plug a shotgun with a toothbrush. lmao. That damn Brock.

...And an ink pen. We gotta start shooting with guys that read the regulations before getting to the field! :). I'll bet you 10 bucks that toothbrush will be in that gun until the day he dies. He never plugs his deer gun(s) either. He'll put three shells in and say "that should be good enough". Ha.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Joe do you ever have any uneventful hunts??? :smiley_clap: glad too see you have a youngin too enjoy your experiences as well.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am grilling doves right now, waiting on a rain shower to pass. I can hear them firing non-stop at the dove fields now. Mason and I are gonna head back down in a bit! I kid you not, the shooting is continuous!!!

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Congrats on your hunt!! I was probably one of them firing this evening Brock. I always look forward to first two days of dove season. Had plenty of shooting opportunities, and good time with friends. My average shot to dove ratio went up on the second day though compared to the first, always seems to happen every year, strange. I must say I am not very comfortable with the amount of people doing crazy things in the field, but as the evening wore on the field emptied out and it was a lot more tolerable. I talked to the wildlife area manager last week and he said there were more doves there this year then he ever remembers seeing before. We shot a lot of juviniles so I assume a good hatch. Also, buddy had a rather unfortunate run in with county WO this afternoon. :smiley_boos: No tickets issued and doing nothing wrong, but really put a damper on our hunt, But that's a different story for a different place. Congrats again!!