Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The heck with deer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
These wild plums are mine! Jelly jelly jelly time!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378058626.001503.jpg

Lundy

I don't think I've ever seen a plum tree just out in nowhere in my life.

Did you find these at some old farm house site where someone planted a plum tree 100 years ago?

There were some old apple trees in a small clearing in the middle of woods in Hocking county that we used to get some apples from back in the late 60's. There was a house or cabin of some kind there at some time in the past but couldn't tell what kind of structure, it was all gone but just a couple of rotted timbers

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't think I've ever seen a plum tree just out in nowhere in my life.

Did you find these at some old farm house site where someone planted a plum tree 100 years ago?

There were some old apple trees in a small clearing in the middle of woods in Hocking county that we used to get some apples from back in the late 60's. There was a house or cabin of some kind there at some time in the past but couldn't tell what kind of structure, it was all gone but just a couple of rotted timbers

Under an old apple tree along what used to be a railroad that cuts through a property. Tracks are no longer there. No signs of an old farmhouse. There is about 10 apple trees scattered down a mile of that old RR. American plum is native to Ohio but this is the first I've ever found. Last season I found a wild persimmon in the woods too, only one of those I've ever found in Ohio also.

mrex

*Supporting member*
That's cool, I know of a few persimmon tree locations on the farm.

The largest persimmon grove I've seen in Athens Co is on one of the farms bordering your lease. There's got to be 200 trees. Back in the mid 80's, I trapped 6 grey fox in 6 consecutive nights in that orchard.

I went for a little walk this afternoon and it appears all the wild soft mast producers in this area did well this year. The persimmons, grapes and pawpaws are all loaded...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There she is. A little over 5 pounds yielded twelve 12 oz jars and two 8oz jars. Time for bed and dreams of breakfast.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378531172.985794.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is going to be good on some toast with real melted butter, some bacon, eggs, and cream of wheat. Think I am going to start brewing some coffee now. lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Didn't set all the way. Set more like a preserve. Needs more lime juice and pectin. Ill recan it this evening.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It looks good. Can you drink it like a thick coolaid? :)

Oh it tastes awesome. The trick to the clear color is filter the stock through an old white tshirt in a colander. Im no hilljack though i used a clean one. lmao. Its about as thick as a good maple syrup. Prolly keep half the jars as is for pancakes, ice cream and waffles.

Oh. And holy shit does jelly have sugar in it! All the recipes call for a little over 1/1 juice and sugar. Lol.