Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rye, Oats and Winter Pea's

themedic

OHIO
Tuesday I planted my cereal grain mix of:

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring forage oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Austrian Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

They have gotten 2 rains since then and bamm! they are up and running. Now, i hope this isnt viewed as simply pimping my web page....but here is a link to the planting video:

Seed to Soil

This will take you to the bulk image video page called VIMEO. Here is a picture of the germination only 4 days later! Should be a good little plot. I did 3 of these, prob 1 1/4 acre total.

RDM

western OH
looking good. I put a plot of the peas, oats in also. its not taking off so well. I put in imperial wintergreens and its looking good. ive had good success with the wintergreens in the past

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looks good Corey. Also a similar mix as what I planted. This is my first year with a similar mix. I may leave the radish out of mine and add the clover. Time will tell. Hope they pay off for you...

themedic

OHIO
well i guess it is probably to late to plant a fall plot now or is it
still plenty of time for cover crops like wheat, rye and oats. The turnips I planted will only be good for the lush green tops to eat, no (or at least very limited) bulb production.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
still plenty of time for cover crops like wheat, rye and oats. The turnips I planted will only be good for the lush green tops to eat, no (or at least very limited) bulb production.

That is what we have seen as well. Almost perfect timing to plant right now if you are looking at winter wheat, oats, etc. Those will be perfect by end of the month. It all depends on the rain, temps, and some luck doesn't hurt either. Mild temps into the first couple weeks of October and you could see some turnip bulbs. Won't be massive most likely, but you could still see some.