Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

turkey call help

00buck

got a new glass call from a friend do you sand the striker or the glass i cant remember what he said

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Sand the glass. You may want to scuff the end of the striker if it gets too smooth or oily.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Sand em both. Sand the glass in a circular motion and with the striker, do it like you're lighting a match. I found that after you sand, sometimes putting a little chalk on the glass will make it sound good TOO.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I lay the sand paper in the palm of my hand, put the tip of the striker in the center of the paper, and "twist". kinda like chalking a pool cue.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
If you are going to try calling for turkey in the fall season, let us know how that turns out. I'm not sure if they will respond to calls in the fall.

turkeyaddiction

You can sand both, but take it easy on the striker. I use a conditioning stone on the glass or crystal, and use scotch brite on the striker. I also have some very very fine grit sandpaper that I'll lightly sand the striker with if needed. You just want to be careful not to change the tip of the striker too much with a rough sandpaper.

I like Halloran's calls, here is a video of him conditioning his calls

http://www.grandslamnetwork.com/conditioning-friction-calls/