Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mrs Nugent arrested

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ooops. Simple mistake. I often forget I have guns in my truck. It could happen if I carried a purse with more regularity I suppose. :)

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A few weeks ago on cbs' morning show they were discussing how often this happens. John Miller (a former deputy director of the FBI now a reporter) explained how easy it was to forget where all your guns were and kind of implied he that he had done it. :pickle:

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
And of course the media will play it out. Most won't even mention I bet, that she was released soon afterwards. Just the same, ( it's not my intent TOO start any arguments ) I find it hard to believe someone who normally has guns around themselfs pretty much all the time would not make certain that they're not packin where they shouldn't be, knowing they're going to be entering a strict check zone for such violations. It's just something that I've scratched my whiskers over & over in amazement that it does happen. Just say'n.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
And of course the media will play it out. Most won't even mention I bet, that she was released soon afterwards. Just the same, ( it's not my intent TOO start any arguments ) I find it hard to believe someone who normally has guns around themselfs pretty much all the time would not make certain that they're not packin where they shouldn't be, knowing they're going to be entering a strict check zone for such violations. It's just something that I've scratched my whiskers over & over in amazement that it does happen. Just say'n.

Pretty much agree with you Kevin......

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Sounds like she i's not the only one. 57 guns found in carry on luggage.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I just don't understand how this can happen. It is your responsibility as a gun owner to know where your firearms are at all times. If one is flying, how in the world can you not know it is in your luggage, especially your carry on!

In a truck, in a house, in a shop....maybe, but not flying. Gives gun owners unneeded attention :smiley_armscrossed:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm not suggesting "forgetting" about the location of a gun is OK... I wonder how it happens as well. I just was saying it is not such a rare thing to happen these days considering all the new people w/ a CCW... seasoned or not.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I know you and what you meant Jim, not questioning your post at all .... Seems like there's more and more of this and I still can't believe responsible people can forget they're packing a gun either on them or their bags.... 57 incidents is 57 too many as far as I'm concerned....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I just don't understand how this can happen. It is your responsibility as a gun owner to know where your firearms are at all times. If one is flying, how in the world can you not know it is in your luggage, especially your carry on!

In a truck, in a house, in a shop....maybe, but not flying. Gives gun owners unneeded attention :smiley_armscrossed:

That's how I feel too. You should have been 100% sure walking in to that airport you didn't have a gun.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Frankly... I know damn well where I can and can't have a CCW on me and I obey the laws.

But the places like banks or gov. offices, businesses and yes, AIRPORTS and such that don't allow them are the places or environments that make me the most nervous. If I am legal enough to carry into a crowded place like Wal-Mart or gas up my truck at sheets, why cant I be trusted ANYWHERE else? Just sayen...

Thanks J.
I'm with you.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think the problem is you carry for so long that it just becomes part of you. Just like your wallet, keys, phone etc. to you it's just another item you always carry. Dont even think about it. It's not dangerous or deadly any more than your phone. It's normal and everyday and you forget society doesn't see it as normal, to them guns are big bad killers.

I've carried a pistol since i was 16 years old mostly for snakes when i was younger. In the summer i always had a Ruger single six .22 in a holster on my hip. Except for a year in Korea and when on base while in the army. Even then most times it was in the car or truck. I never got a CCW until a few years after moving to Ohio. To me it's just a normal part of what I carry phone, pocket knife, cigarettes, keys and pistol.

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I think the problem is you carry for so long that it just becomes part of you. Just like your wallet, keys, phone etc. to you it's just another item you always carry. Dont even think about it. It's not dangerous or deadly any more than your phone. It's normal and everyday and you forget society doesn't see it as normal, to them guns are big bad killers.

I've carried a pistol since i was 16 years old mostly for snakes when i was younger. In the summer i always had a Ruger single six .22 in a holster on my hip. Except for a year in Korea and when on base while in the army. Even then most times it was in the car or truck. I never got a CCW until a few years after moving to Ohio. To me it's just a normal part of what I carry phone, pocket knife, cigarettes, keys and pistol.

No argument there, so how does one not realize you have it on you? Most ppl feel naked without a watch, wallet, or gun if authorized to legally carry one.

In no way am I bashing the original post. I just fail to understand how anyone, remotely in tune with a firearm, can " forget" they have one when entering an airport. This is compounded when it is someone who travels a lot. This firearm obviously was transported to Texas from MI, how do u forget its whereabouts when traveling home?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have forgotten many times that I am carrying where I shouldn't. I carry everyday, all day. I don't go to the Post Office/Library/Airport often. It is such a part of my routine i don't think "'hey i am wearing my gun" as i ALWAYS have it on.

Kinda like having your cell on in the hospital....you don't remember until you see the sign. If I were a woman and purse carried, then I can see it even more.

I also don't actively look for no carry signs. If it is not on the front doors where it should be then so be it.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have forgotten many times that I am carrying where I shouldn't. I carry everyday, all day. I don't go to the Post Office/Library/Airport often. It is such a part of my routine i don't think "'hey i am wearing my gun" as i ALWAYS have it on.

Kinda like having your cell on in the hospital....you don't remember until you see the sign. If I were a woman and purse carried, then I can see it even more.

I also don't actively look for no carry signs. If it is not on the front doors where it should be then so be it.

What he said.

Also for the most part the cellphones in the hospital signs. .....I work in one and ALWAYS have mine on me and on.