Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Youth Compounds?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Anybody have any suggestions on a good youth compound bow? Feedback from experienced Parents is always way more trustworthy than the marketing you read online & see on TV. What's been your experience in shopping & selecting youth compounds?

My son is 8 1/2 and has really been showing a lot of interest this summer in shooting more, so I'm thinking about maybe something for Christmas, or if we get a great report card. So far I've been looking at the following bows:

Mission Craze:

http://missionarchery.com/product/craze/

IBO Rate Up to 306 fps
Physical Weight 3.6 lbs.
Axle to Axle 28"
Brace Height 7.5"
Let-off 80%
Riser Extruded
Draw Weight 15 - 70 lbs
Finish (Riser/Limbs) Lost Camo AT
Draw Length 19 - 30"
Silencers D-Amplifiers™
Suppressors N/A
Cam(s) N/A
Cable Guard Carbon Rod
Bowstrings Zebra® Hybrid
String Length 55 3/4"
Grip Composite
Cable Length 30 7/8"
Comes as a bare bow I believe?

Diamond Infinite Edge

http://www.diamondarchery.com/#/productBreakdown?r=products_products&i=42

IBO Rate Up to 310 fps
Physical Weight 3.1 lbs.
Axle to Axle 31"
Brace Height 7"
Let-off 75%
Draw Weight 5 - 70 lbs
Finish (Riser/Limbs) Black
Draw Length 13 - 30"
Comes ready to shoot

Bear Apprentice 2

http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/compound/apprentice-2

IBO Rate Up to 265 fps
Physical Weight 2.9 lbs.
Axle to Axle 27.5"
Brace Height 6.125"
Let-off 70%
Draw Weight 15 - 60 lbs
Finish (Riser/Limbs) Realtree APG
Draw Length 15 - 27"
Comes ready to shoot

I think that Cabela's has both the Diamond & Bear models in the store, so our next logical step would be to be to go have his draw length measured & shoot them. Of course if we do that then he's gonna want to walk out of the store with one. I can figure out that conversation ahead of time though.

I like the range of adjustability with the Diamond, but I just wonder if the Bear might be sized better for a youngster at 27.5" vs. 31"? The Bear is also slightly lighter, but at .2 lbs I don't think that's really much of a difference. The craze has very good reviews from what I've read so far but I don't know if it comes ready to shoot, so I'll be adding more $$ in accessories to get it set up. There are trade offs in everything I guess...

Just looking for any input or experience you Guys & Gals might have to share... Thanks!!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
The bear apprentice is very easy to adjust. dont need a bow press to change draw length, just take out 2 screws and put them back in the holes corresponding to the new draw length. thats all i can say as I dont know anything about the other bows.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Those would all be fine bows, Sean. Mason has a Darton, though I can't recall what one right now. It comes with all the mods to change draw length clear up to 28", I think. He is shooting it at 46lbs right now, and shoots it really well out to 25 yds or so. He is working at it daily as he wants to deer hunt with it this season. He's good enough now, but I've just told him to "keep practicing". I don't know that it's the best available bow for a youth, but it's good enough considering he will want another by next year. I think I paid a couple hundred bucks or so for it at the D&T show last spring.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I found my son a used Mission Menace last year. It is a very good bow. Quiet and fast. Very easy to adjust also. Don't need a bow press to change draw length just remove 2 set screws from module adjust to desired length and put screws back in. I would say that the craze or the apprentice are gerat options as they are easily adjusted. Don't know enough about the Diamond to comment on it.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Austin started shooting with a Bear Odysey when he was 8. One of Cottys boys is shooting it now. I liked how it worked for him from the time he was shooting when he was 8 all the way through 13. Very easy to adjust draw length like dante said. I am not sure how the Odysey compares to the apprentice. It has been a while since I was in that market so I haven't kept up with it.

If he gets a bow and enjoys shooting keep him going. Austin was shooting legal hunting weight by the time he was ten because he shot regularly.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Craze is a good bow that in my opinion comes with a bettet string on it. My nephew has one he can shoot if he wants to try it. I honestly suggest you get him a recurve and or longbow to start. You learn some important things shooting instinctive.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm partial to the Diamond, as the wife has the Razor Edge, and it is a great little bow! Really, I don't think you could go wrong with any of those bows though!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd buy the Infinite Edge no questions asked. Katie's bow is a shooter and that Edge will last a kid from 6-16. I'm actually thinking of selling Tracie's Mustang to buy the Infinite Edge.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thanks for all the replies Guys. It's always appreciated.

I should also add that this is just for target practice at this point in time, he's not going to be hunting with a bow for several years. But with the advancements made in these youth models you can pick up a bow to grow with for the next 10 years. By then, he'll be 18 and if he wants to upgrade then he can buy it himself. :smiley_coolpeace:

Craze is a good bow that in my opinion comes with a bettet string on it. My nephew has one he can shoot if he wants to try it. I honestly suggest you get him a recurve and or longbow to start. You learn some important things shooting instinctive.

I've thought about that TOO Milo. I don't know the first thing about teaching him to shoot instinctive, them again, I could learn right along side him.

Did he shoot a bow before this ?

He's been shooting a Bear Scout for a few years. I think it's been a good bow just to learn how to send an arrow towards a target, but not much beyond that.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Kody bought a PSE Rally with his Christmas money. It's 20-75 lbs I believe. I love the bow. It's smooth. Quiet.

No changing limbs when making higher adjustments.

He shot some others like the diamond. He chose the PSE on his own. I think it was a great decision.

nis1

The mission craze is such a sweet little bow. I bought one for my girlfriend a while back. She can shoot it, then I can adjust it in 2 minutes and I can be shooting it. Accurate, smooth, and quiet.

My buddy bought the Craze last year for his girlfriend as well. He said it was a sweet shooting bow and with all that adjustment I can see why. Looking at the others you simply can't go wrong with any of them Sean. Better watch though, you get him too good of equipment and he'll be hunting YOUR arrows in the target!! :smiley_devil: