Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wagon load of apples

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
This is sure to generate several photos over the next few weeks.

IMG_0007.jpg

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Nice! My chest freezer is almost completely full of apples. I pick up anywhere from 8 to 15 pounds a day.

Looks like the tree will done dropping by the end of the weekend though. :smiley_cry:

themedic

OHIO
Nice! My chest freezer is almost completely full of apples. I pick up anywhere from 8 to 15 pounds a day.

Looks like the tree will done dropping by the end of the weekend though. :smiley_cry:

I tried freezing some a few year ago and found out they rot and turn brown almost immediately upon de-thawing.....have you froze them before with good success?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've got great sources in the park and side lots by the house this year. Back in the day my whole subdivision was a giant apple orchard, so I was told.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Apples are a TC's best friend! I am very fortunate to have the 25 or so trees at my service. My mom talks of selling and moving! Ugh. Great to hear everyone is getting on the apple cart.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I tried freezing some a few year ago and found out they rot and turn brown almost immediately upon de-thawing.....have you froze them before with good success?

I haven't done this before for deer. What I'm doing is putting the apples in separate bags (what I think I'll throw at one time) and then plan to take that amount straight from the freezer to the bait pile. I'm doing this on my own property and plan to throw apples about every single day for 4 or 5 weeks, starting 3 weeks before season.
I can see the deer from my back door, so I figured that even if the apples do rot quickly, if I'm throwing them out daily, the deer would get used to checking for them and since it's just a day's supply, they can't rot that quick.

I'll know in a couple of weeks, and figured I wasn't out anything but some time if it doesn't work as well as I hope!

I haven't done this before for deer. What I'm doing is putting the apples in separate bags (what I think I'll throw at one time) and then plan to take that amount straight from the freezer to the bait pile. I'm doing this on my own property and plan to throw apples about every single day for 4 or 5 weeks, starting 3 weeks before season.
I can see the deer from my back door, so I figured that even if the apples do rot quickly, if I'm throwing them out daily, the deer would get used to checking for them and since it's just a day's supply, they can't rot that quick.

I'll know in a couple of weeks, and figured I wasn't out anything but some time if it doesn't work as well as I hope!

That's a good idea!! Until the temps are a lot cooler freezing and then dumping them out in the hot weather will make them rot fast. Later into November and December they will work perfectly!!!

Kaiser878

ohio
I have been picking them up also for the deer. Behind my dads that have been eating a 35 gallon drum every three days....hungry little fuggers

ohiobowhunter78

I use apple's for deer also. I keep mine in 50 gal drum with water in them. For me it keeps them fresh. I throw a bunch out at first and then I just replish when I go hunting. I can keep my apples all the way to end of January. Somtimes the top freezes on drum I break ice get a bag or two off them and take with me. They are just as fresh as the day I put them in. I usually start putting mine out when they get the crops of the fields. I fig if I can keep does around bucks will be there when rut comes.