Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Slick Tricks - Standard or Magnum?!

Well it doesn't look like I'm going t get new arrows any time soon but one thing I am convinced I need to switch to is a fixed blade broadhead. After reading countless posts and other people's recommendations I've settled on giving Slick Trick's a try this year. My only question is....which model should I go with, the standard or the magnums? I will be shooting around 58 lbs. ish.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i just bought too packs of the magnums last night, put them on my arrows this morning while sitting in my office.(couldnt wait any longer) ive shot both and i dont think you would have a problem with either one. 58lbs is plenty if you put it in the right spot ive shot 5 deer with them with my 65 pound bow everyone has been a pass threw and they never seem to go far.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have 100 gr magnums on my crossbow arrows and 125 gr standards on my longbow arrows.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I used the standards and they seemed to work just fine for me although I think the mags are a little better and thicker blades so I might grab a pack in a couple weeks for this season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I shoot the Mags for the extra cutting diameter and additional beefiness. More cut = bigger holes = more blood loss. That's my thinking anyways...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The Mags are just a little tougher. Which isn't to say the standards are weak by any means. Look at it this way, one if for deer and the other for elk. Both will work great on deer. The cutting diameter is a tiny bit bigger (3/16) and the ferrule is a little thicker on the mags.

Last edited:

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I tried at least 5 or 6 different broadheads until I put on a Slick Trick Magnum in 2007 and never even thought about using another broadhead since. The are simple and lethal, and best part is.........I have never had one not open up!!!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I will tell you that the standards will still crack a vertabrea. Stuck a buck a couple years ago and dropped him in his tracks. Dug the slick trick out and the only thing that happened was one of the smaller blades bent but that was a solid hit on that bone at 7 yards. That was using 64lb. draw as well. I feel if I would have been shooting a little heavier arrow and more on my draw I would have busted all the way and lunged him. As it was I buried that BH and cut the spinalcord in half. Was a bad shot on my part but it ended up in my favor.

Last year I shot a small doe. The arrow went in and came out the off side hitting the knee joint solid as could be. The arrow bounced back and dropped as she ran. The small blade broke but again, solid hit right into a very dense bone. I would have no worries about a good rib shot that the BH would have any issue cutting a good hole and have a passthru.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Any one notice if one has more noise off of it vs. the other?? Asked the S vs. Mag. on another forum and one guy swears the magnums are much louder in flight. Also getting comments about trying the Viper Tricks too.

I've shot both and never heard a sound off either. I've heard broadheads make a swishing sound but never a ST.