Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ChuckC's Big Holla Hunting Journal 2013-14

Time to get this thing started!! With deer season right around the corner we still have a few trips to make to get things finalized. This past trip we had to do a lot of rushing to get things done but we ended up with 2 new ladder stands in place and everything trimmed as well as moved one other stand and got it all ready to go as well. Had a bunch of trees down so we spent a lot of time cutting them up too. I don't have recent pics of the food plots yet simply because in all the rush to mow them and with the passing of my aunt that weekend I just plumb forgot to go back and take them. Here are a few to get me started though!!

Here is one of my sanctuary signs that we relocated to make the sanctuary larger. Little did we know that a neighbor had made a habit of walking the edges of the sanctuary....in hopes of spotting deer and other critters!! :smiley_crazy: Found that out after last season he happened to walk along the edge and stalked up to my decoy I had positioned in my turnip food plot. Of course he couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run off. But hey, he's been a good neighbor in general and after talking with him I think he will respect deer season and the signs the rest of the year.

Here is the corn on our field near my dad's house. This is the field that basically has only been a hay/grass field for as long as I can remember, likely over 40 acres of the stuff. This sure should change a few things for us this year!!

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
Corn looks good, I didn't know you had that in the cards. I'm iffy on the sign, might attract trespassers more than run them off, but hope it works for you. Hope u get that big one chuck.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looking great Chuck! Looking forward to your plot pics in the future. Hope your hard work pays off and you guys slay some bigguns!

Corn looks good, I didn't know you had that in the cards. I'm iffy on the sign, might attract trespassers more than run them off, but hope it works for you. Hope u get that big one chuck.

I had thought the same thing a year or two after I put them up but they've been up for over 10-12 years now and other than the neighbor taking a walk we haven't had the problem. One thing that invited the walking though was my uncle usually brush hogged a path around the perimeter of the sanctuary in the field you see, so it was convenient to walk. After moving the signs that will eliminate the paths being mowed back in where they actually are bedding and it made the sanctuary about twice as large. Still kick myself in the ass for not taking pics as the switch grass and sorghum really took off this year. Sure there are some weeds but hey, it all looks good though.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dang Chuck, either you are 4'5" or that corn is tall as hell! Looks great. Gives a familiar place a much different feel doesn't it!?! This is the first year for corn on our farm and it makes such a big difference. Hope it all works for you!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
One in particular we are calling Pointdexter, he's the the 4th and 5th picture up from the bottom of the last group of pics. Thought he was going to have a lot more trash the way he was going early season but he kind of petered out the last month. Still a dandy in my book!!

That's the one I was eyeballin lol. He is a great looking buck. Have a few nice bucks to choose from. Good luck man.