Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2013-2014 Deer Season Goals

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Seems to be an annual thread favorite. Brings up many good ideas, some good reminders, and some new goals for many of us to implement in the future.

1) Have a safe season.
1) Thank the Lord for every hunt and ask for safety for myself and my friends/family in the deer woods.
2) Enjoy myself. Whether I am seeing deer or not, it is a blessing to be able to slide away from the daily grind.
3) Put some meat in the freezer.
4) This year will be the second season for my son. I want to continue to encourage him and help fan the fire growing in his belly to hunt.
5) It is always a goal to continue to learn in the woods. Hard not to learn something in the woods unless you are sleeping.
6) Would like to take a deer from my woods. I have killed a deer there previously, but not while I owned it. I bought the property last year and didn't hunt it much. It would be pretty cool to kill a deer on my personal property this year. Watching my son kill one there would be even better.
7) Be less picky. I haven't had a bad trail camera season, but not as good as the last couple years. This year I want to stick to my goals of "bigger than anything on the wall UNLESS it is seriously mature or crazy funky". Having less camera pictures takes some of the pre-season size ups out of the equation. Guess that means I am looking forward to the surprise from the stand this year. Guess that means I might break my wall rule. If I see one from the stand that trips my trigger I am letting an arrow fly. Then again, I have nobody to keep happy but myself and if I eat a buck tag I would be fine with this as well. I just talked a circle didn't I? Be less picky? Keep my wall rule? Look forward to surprise in the stand? Guess I don't really have any buck goals this year. lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
-Hunt with others as much as possible

-Take the kids

-Harvest a buck (no particular size, just gotta be a slump buster/get that feeling)

-Have fun

If the kids are with me I will probably kill the first buck that comes into range just so they can share that feeling. Waterfowl and doves will probably take up more time than deer hunting this year.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Seems to be an annual thread favorite. Brings up many good ideas, some good reminders, and some new goals for many of us to implement in the future.

1) Have a safe season.
1) Thank the Lord for every hunt and ask for safety for myself and my friends/family in the deer woods.
2) Enjoy myself. Whether I am seeing deer or not, it is a blessing to be able to slide away from the daily grind.

I really have to hit on #2 this year. The last two years, maybe 3, I have had zero fun. I just want to make it enjoyable again, going out and having a blast. Thats my important goal this year!

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Great thread.

1.) Safe season
2.) Thank god evefy hunt
3.) Help my son successfully harvest a deer. (he has been oh so close)
4.) Harvest a buck worthy of mounting. (Have yet to accomplish this)
5.) Help my buddy harvest a bear
6.) Have fun
7.) Take more photos from the field to capture the memories

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
#1 goal is to always have a safe hunt.

#2 is to hopefully drop a doe (or two) almost as soon as season opens. (nothing would tickle me more than to do that opening weekend) I want my freezer full~!

#3 Get ZJ and the grand daughters out a few times.

I have no plans for buck hunting or for that matter, very much personal hunting this year. I can't hunt most of October and half of November due to other obligations, which is why I didn't join in on the hunting contest. :frown:

If I get the kids out and get to drop a couple of does, I'll be happy.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great thread. I agree with all the above.
1. Take my 1st buck with a bow.
2. Take a nice deer out of my new food plot from my new hunting tower.
3. Take my neighbor who gave me permission to hunt his property on his 1st deer hunt.
4. Get my wife to go with me on a hunt in my new tower at least once in her lifetime. It's only 200 yds. from the house. She said it's not going to happen. The DIL and granddaughter already said their going.
5. Figure my son's Playback video cam out to video my hunts this year.
6. Meet Phil FTF this weekend in Lima. LOL.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like your goals Frank! Last one sounds great. Meeting fellow TOO members is always a treat! Maybe attempting to hunt with another member should be on my list. As busy as I have been, getting in the woods to hunt should be one of my goals. Lmao

Buckmaster

Portage
1. Make a good Deer Camp Host / Cook.
2. Get the kids out with me more.
3. Take a deer primitive style.
4. Host a hunt in which my buddy's daughter can take her first deer.
5. Try to make a few snowy hunts this year.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Last year I managed to achieve 2 of my goals, harvesting (and recovering) my first buck, and taking more than one in a season. That still leaves 2 goals from last year unfulfilled. Getting at least one of my kids intersted will remain on the list, as well as getting my first muzzleloader kill. Beyond that I would also like to get a wallhanger this year

Those three are my practicall goals for the season as well as having fun, being safe, and continuing to improve as a hunter and a woodsman. Never stop learning.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great thread Philbert! Great responses as well!

Me:
Have fun
Be thankful
Get my girls out and hooked on hunting, if they don't...I tried.
Get a deer grossing 140+(hopefully one or both of my girls first)
Do more filming and possibly my first kill on film

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Great thread Phil!!

For me its to have a safe season, kill a deer from the ground, be able to hunt from a treestand by mid October ( shouldnt be a problem, things are going good with the hips), put a doe in the freezer in the early season, try to hunt with some other TOO members and most of all have fun!