Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Breath odor....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
....how do you try to control it!

IMHO, this is the number one thing most difficult to eliminate or control. We can use scent free soaps for our bodies and clothes,carbon lined clothes with scent eliminating capabilities,smoke and earthly cover up scents like earth,acorns or critter piss but our breath is constantly pumped into the air currents and thermals every other second. I've always firmly believed that our breath is our biggest nemesis when trying to beat the Whitetails nose, especially mature bucks and does.

I've used baking soda to brush and gargle with before hunts and chlorophyll gum and even eating a few apples through the day. I often sit in the stand thinking of ways to beat this problem. I've even dreamt up having a long hose stretching up from my perch to the top of the tree I'm in along the trunk sending my breath way up over the trees and beyond...rotflmao!

I've got the vise of dipping which I've done over 30 some years and need to quit but its very hard to shake! Very hard!!! I really enjoy this bad habit especially when hunting and fishing, they seem to go hand in hand for me going back to when I was 16 years old.

This is an extra strike or two against me while trying to beat the olfactory senses of the WHITETAIL...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sean and I were in a tree on opening weekend several years ago. A couple of fawns walked under us. He dropped a little skoal juice on one of them. The momma and the other lil one licked it's back! I'm not convinced just yet that the smell of a dip spooks deer.

I don't have a good answer for the breath problem yet, though I wonder honestly if it's enough to worry about. Your breath rolls out of you at 98 degrees or so, and rises. If any sent would stay above a deer's nose, I'd think it would be our breath. Just my thoughts...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have refined my technique...I just quite breathing ;)

I do honestly try and breathe through the nose. You Newsome boys mouth breathers? Lol

Lundy

The nose of a whitetail deer has up to 297 million olfactory receptors, dogs have 220 million with humans limiting out with just five million.

A dog can smell a fingerprint left 7 days earlier, detect items buried deep underground, detect levels of just a few parts per million. Deer have a better sense of smell than dogs.

Draw your own conclusions on cover scents:)

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have sometimes wondered about this also. I am one that drinks a lot of coffee before heading to the woods. I mean I usually drink a whole pot before going out. Knowing how strong coffee smells ( they use it to cover the smell of drugs while smuggling it) I wonder if that is hindering me sometimes. And on the same note, has anyone ever smelled coffee in your pee? I swear there are times when I piss that I can smell the aroma of coffee.

Huckleberry Finn

I have sometimes wondered about this also. I am one that drinks a lot of coffee before heading to the woods. I mean I usually drink a whole pot before going out. Knowing how strong coffee smells ( they use it to cover the smell of drugs while smuggling it) I wonder if that is hindering me sometimes. And on the same note, has anyone ever smelled coffee in your pee? I swear there are times when I piss that I can smell the aroma of coffee.

Like that time I puked off your stand, and then you pissed out a pot of coffee...and then we had 4 does at 20 yards, one of which I killed and then a button buck at 15!?!? hahahahaha

Diablo54

Outside
Seen them lick my dip spit several times. For a while they had vanilla flavored Skoal. Wanted I buy it and save it for deer season but they quit making it. I've Always chewed straight or natural and they seem to be interested in it more than Alarmed by it. I eat a lot of butterscotch candy when I hunt because the smell would seem to cover your mouth scent. Here comes the fat jokes...