Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Todays lesson

rooster85

Lake County
Well today i learned several things while checking out the property in Indiana i'll be hunting. 1. Setting up a ladder stand isn't as easy by yourself, even though it may look easy.
2. Kicking trespassers off one side of the property means they will return to the OTHER side and set tree stands wherever they please.

Going back in a few weeks to check my cameras on that place, if they haven't been stolen i should have some photos to post. I removed cameras last time i was there and told the guy that hung them to stay off the property. Next time i believe i'll keep the cameras and the stands.

Getting closer guys!!!!

rooster85

Lake County
Of course the berry bushes on either side of the tree didn't help either. I just put the base where i wanted it then walked it up, climbed up then strapped it down.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Hope all your hard work setting the stand and hanging the stand pays off. Not fun when you live in another state to try and keep the locals out. Trespassers are not easy anyway you put it and they suck. Hope they leave all your stuff alone and let you hunt man.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah and one hand at that..... :smiley_clap:

I like a piece of rope and a pulley too get them in place....

I rigged up a triple block and tackle for putting up ladder stands. That and a foldup 17 ft. ladder I'm good to go.

rooster85

Lake County
Hope all your hard work setting the stand and hanging the stand pays off. Not fun when you live in another state to try and keep the locals out. Trespassers are not easy anyway you put it and they suck. Hope they leave all your stuff alone and let you hunt man.

Yeah, all my no trespassing signs were torn down, i know the guy thats pushing my buttons but like you mentioned its hard to keep an eye on the place when i live so far away.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Oh yeah, hung one by myself last weekend, definitely felt my age for the next couple days. I think i was all the climbing up and down more than the pulling the stand up.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Yeah, all my no trespassing signs were torn down, i know the guy thats pushing my buttons but like you mentioned its hard to keep an eye on the place when i live so far away.

landmines, burmese tiger pits, jungle snares...

there are ways to deal with trespassers.

rooster85

Lake County
Got back from pulling cameras and hanging the last of my stands this morning. Pretty good trip, got quite a few deer on the cameras and better yet, my stands were still there. One had been fooled with but they weren't able to pull it down. I didn't find any stands that aint mine this trip either, maybe they've taken the hint? Also had some big turkeys on the cameras and way TOO many coons. If it wasn't so close to deer season id of taken out some squirrels. Now i just have to stay put of there until the season and hopefully i'll be in the right spot. Got a stand set 38 yards from a group of crab apple trees. Good luck everybody!!

rooster85

Lake County
It was a much better trip and it wasn't hot so the bugs were almost nonexistent. Was a little cool friday night at 40 but i love that weather. Im pretty well set there now i need to concentrate on the properties out here.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad you had a nice check and nothing was stolen. Still bothers me that POS's do stuff to other people's belongings without a conscious!
Good luck this season!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good to hear. Hate for us to have to load up a group of TOOzers bound for Indiana to whoop a little trespasser ass! :horse::smiley_boxing: