Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ghille Suits

MQ1-Z7

Ashland Co.
How many of you have used one or knew someone that has. I purchased one earlier this year for the simple fact is i like to hunt on the ground allot . I started that way when i first hunted for allot of years . and like to get on their level . Its a RUSH! so i figured the suit would allow me to sit places i never could before. Any Thoughts? (Ghillie) spelling

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Here's mine.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377308872027.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377308872027.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 124

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Mine ain't near as nice as Mike's, but it works!

I don't have a picture of me wearing one, but this is what the snow camo looks like (got it last year, didn't hunt in the snow so I haven't used it yet) and then I have my green one (Mossy Oak, maybe?) which I have worn for 2 years now.

snow-ghillie.jpg

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
They would have to break up your outline, but I think they would be hot when its warm out and being someone with short arms I always thought I'd have a hard time shooting in it, but let us know how it works for you.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
They would have to break up your outline, but I think they would be hot when its warm out and being someone with short arms I always thought I'd have a hard time shooting in it, but let us know how it works for you.

Mine are actually just mesh with plastic leaves, so it's not really hot.

I used to always want a leafy kind of suit for hunting and even thought of the ghille suit. Rarely do I hunt on the ground any more though and some of the open patterns like Predator and Vertigo seem to suit me better for up in the trees.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've never seen one made up in snow camo. Very impressive Diane ! I guess one thought that keeps coming back to me on these suits is that you'd get snagged up on twigs & such when walking or stalking. I can imagine sitting in the woods & hearing someone angrily yelling in the distance.... " Oh for the love of God ".... lol

Last edited:

MQ1-Z7

Ashland Co.
I am goin to give it a shot for sure, and Blackbeard i wondered how warm it might be early season as well , i will report in how it works. I will post a pic of mine here soon. I like the snow camo as well , what i have seen when using snow camo the stuff really works from any distance unlike other camos . Chuck the asat camo i always wanted to try . I also heard of people using snow camo in a treestand i guess the white can make you disappear against the skyline . So when you need a stand where there is light cover it very well may do the trick.

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I've never seen one made up in snow camo. Very impressive Diane ! I guess one thought that keeps coming back to me on these suits is that you'd get snagged up on twigs & such when walking or stalking. I can imagine sitting in the woods & hearing someone angrily yelling in the distance.... " Oh for the love of God ".... lol

As you know, Kevin, I am very short and these ghillies are a one size fits all. I absolutely never try to walk in one. I carry it over my arm and throw it on as I'm getting settled in. Otherwise, it would be all bad!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a ghille suit I bought from Sportsman Guide couple years ago. I've used it turkey hunting only and the turkeys never knew I was there. One time I was setting in a lawnchair and my 2 bulls came into the pasture and grazed right up to me on the other side of the fence. The one bull looked at me and got really upset and I thought he was going to charge through the fence. So I took the face mask off and talked to him. That really pissed him off.
They grazed away and 1/2 hr. later grazed back and he went crazy again. I left as he was really pissed this time.
So I would say the ghille suit works pretty good.
The suit is made of short cotton strings and stinks like hell. Afraid to wash it but I will try by hand if I want to use for deer hunting.

MQ1-Z7

Ashland Co.
I just ordered me another suit , when i saw the dessert color i had to have it , when things die off at certain places it should work great! I also ordered one for Elevenpointer the woods camo model. It should make her deadly when crossbow hunting on the ground.