Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Going to save my money on blocks and buy a box trap!!!

Big H

Medina
The game camera caught the culprits, but they were wearing masks... That's right guys, coons. I have seven (7) of the little bastards in one shot. I did have a few deer on the camera, but only one decent buck. Also a couple of red fox. Looks like I will be skinning a few coons this fall since I really don't want them eating any corn either, they are fat enough already. By the way, the 2nd block (25#), is GONE.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
And yes the above dose work well

Skip the box trap
Dog Proof Traps are easy

John

Have to agree. Dog proofs work and are pretty easy and fun to use.

Problem with Fly Bait and Coke is, you will have ground Zero and about a 30 yard kill diameter lol. Poor fox and anything else that would eat those coon would also die.

Big H

Medina
JB I probably have an endless supply of coons back here. I may have to learn about these dog proof traps.

viper

Here is a pic of a duke dog proof. Easy to use and set.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377134050.606951.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377134050.606951.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 123

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How the hell and why did coons eat that much salt? They never mess with our blocks unless its to stand on them to look over weeds or crap on them.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How the hell and why did coons eat that much salt? They never mess with our blocks unless its to stand on them to look over weeds or crap on them.

He's putting our feed blocks, not salt. The Big & J block is made of "Processed grain by-products, grain products, refined soybean oil, sodium tripolyphosphate, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, potassium sorbate (as preservative)". There is next to no salt in it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
He's putting our feed blocks, not salt. The Big & J block is made of "Processed grain by-products, grain products, refined soybean oil, sodium tripolyphosphate, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, potassium sorbate (as preservative)". There is next to no salt in it.

Oh. Well that makes sense then.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio

waste of money...no offense to anyone, but I wouldnt use them.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Fly bait and coke is a horrible suggestion, not to mention extremely illegal. It will kill anything that consumes it, including deer and humans. Sorry to sound grumpy over it, but for us trappers it is getting really old hearing people poision everything, and it is an issue that is high on the Ohio State Trappers Associations radar, as well as the ODNR's. Use cage traps or dog proofs and you will clean them up in a matter of a week, and not have to worry about the deer. And by the way, fur prices are as high as they ever been in several decades. If you got 7 XXL or bigger sized coon properly put up, you are looking close to $150 depending where you sale.